1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find a negative number N

1. Sep 16, 2009 #1
    Find a negative number N such that [tex]|\frac{x^2}{1+x^2}-1| < \epsilon [/tex] for x < N. That implies [tex] |\frac{-1}{1+x^2}| < \epsilon if x < N[/tex].This gives me the following [tex] -|\frac{1}{1+x^2}| < \epsilon if x < N[/tex].I do not know what to do from here. Please help as I am teaching myself. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Finding "a negative number N such that if x< N then ..." is very peculiar. But since x only occurs to even power, it doesn't matter whether you use x or -x. "Find a positive number M such that if x> N then [itex]|\frac{-1}{1+x^2}|< epsilon[/itex]" is more "standard" and gives N= -M. Saying that [itex]|\frac{-1}{1+x^2}|< \epsilon[/itex] is the same as saying [itex]0< \frac{1}{1+x^2}< \epsilon[/itex] which is, in turn, the same as saying that [itex]1+ x^2> \frac{1}{\epsilon}[/itex] which is the same as [itex]x^2> \frac{1}{\epsilon}- 1[/itex]. Can you carry on from there?

4. Sep 16, 2009 #3
    [tex] x=+/-\sqrt{\frac{1-\epsilon}{\epsilon}}[/tex] Then I have to determine which one of the roots is the answer, as x is negitive it must [tex]-\sqrt{\frac{1-\epsilon}{\epsilon}}[/tex], but that last answer doesn't sound a very good reason as to why it is the negitive root. I was wondering is there better reasoning?

5. Sep 16, 2009 #4
    The definition I am using is: Let f(x) be defined for all x in some infinite open interval extending in the negative x-direction. We will write
    [tex]\lim_{x-> -\infty}f(x)=L[/tex]
    if given any number [tex]\epsilon >0 [/tex], there corresponds a negative number N such that
    [tex] |f(x)-L| < \epsilon \mbox{ if } x < N[/tex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook