1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find a particular solution?

1. Mar 6, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find a particular solution of y"-5y'+6y=-e^(x)[(4+6x-x^2)cosx-(2-4x+3x^2)sinx].

2. Relevant equations
    None.

3. The attempt at a solution
    yp=e^(x)[(Ax^2+Bx+C)(cosx-sinx)]
    y'p=e^(x)[(Ax^2+Bx+C)(-sinx-cosx)+(2Ax+B)(cosx-sinx)]+e^(x)[(Ax^2+Bx+C)(cosx-sinx)]
    y"p=e^(x)[(Ax^2+Bx+C)(-cosx+sinx)+(2Ax+B)(-sinx-cosx)+(2Ax+B)(-sinx-cosx)+2A(cosx-sinx)]+e^(x)[(Ax^2+Bx+C)(-sinx-cosx)+(2Ax+B)(cosx-sinx)]+e^(x)[(Ax^2+Bx+C)(-sinx-cosx)+(2Ax+B)(cosx-sinx)]+e^(x)[(Ax^2+Bx+C)(cosx-sinx)]
    subbing:
    y"p-5y'p+6yp=4Ax^2e^xcosx+4Bxe^xcosx+4Ce^xcosx+2Ax^2e^xsinx+2Bxe^xsinx+2Ce^xsinx+2Axe^xsinx+Be^xsinx-10Axe^xcosx-5Be^xcosx+2Ae^xcosx-2Ae^xsinx=-e^x[(4+6x-x^2)cosx-(2-4x+3x^2)sinx]
    So 4Ax^2e^xcosx=x^2e^xcosx
    and therefore A=1/4.
    But the answer to this problem is yp=e^(x)(x^2*cosx+2sinx). I don't think the coefficients I got are right. So what's the right initial guess for this problem?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2016 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

How did you come up with your guess?

4. Mar 6, 2016 #3
    Just by making my best guess.

5. Mar 6, 2016 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

What made you think it was the best as opposed to some other form? I'm asking because writing down the form of particular solution is a cookbook process, yet you managed to come up with something different.

6. Mar 6, 2016 #5
    Since there's -e^x in the very front, so I got e^x as well in forming my guess yp. And then there's (4+6x-x^2) in front of cosx and same thing in front of sinx. So I got yp=e^(x)[(Ax^2+Bx+C)(cosx-sinx)].

7. Mar 6, 2016 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The sine doesn't have the same factor multiplying it as cosine in the forcing function, or are you saying the cosine and the sine should both have a quadratic multiplying it? If the latter, why would you expect it to be the exact same quadratic?

8. Mar 6, 2016 #7
    So this is a forcing function?

9. Mar 6, 2016 #8

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The forcing function is the stuff that appears on the righthand side of the differential equation.

10. Mar 6, 2016 #9
    So what's the way to find the guess?

11. Mar 6, 2016 #10

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Have you checked whether the supposed "answer" actually solves the DE?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted