Find (a) the tension in the cable

In summary, the problem is to find the tension in a cable and the horizontal and vertical forces exerted on a beam by a pole, given that a 20.0 kg floodlight is supported at the end of the beam which is hinged to the pole, and the cable makes an angle of 30.0 degrees with the beam. The tension in the cable is found to be 392 N. To find the horizontal and vertical forces exerted on the beam by the pole, two equations using components can be used.
PhysicsinCalifornia
A 20.0 kg floodlight in a park is supported at the end of a horizontal beam of negligible mass that is hinged to a pole. A cable at an angle of 30.0[tex]\circ[/tex] with the beam helps to support the light. Find (a) the tension in the cable and (b) the horizontal and vertical forces exerted on the beam by the pole.

This is what I got so far:
[tex]\sum F_y = T\sin30.0\circ - W = 0[/tex]
[tex]\sum F_y = T(\frac{1}{2}) = 196 N[/tex]
[tex]T = 392 N[/tex]

I'm having trouble with part (b). I know I'm supposed to use [tex]\sum\tau = 0[/tex] but I'm getting stuck because I don't know what to use for the moment arm(if I'm supposed to)

Anything would help, thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure part A is correct? you seem to have ignored the articulation support reaction (at the hinge). Remember the vector representation of the reaction has two components.

Now about the torque, you haven't provided any distances, but if you do, i would take moment about the hinge, so i can find teh Tension, then i would use sum of forces to find both reactions at the hinge, obviously the component parallel to the x-axis will be equal to the component parallel to the axis of the Tension force.

I agree with your answer to (a). For part (b): You can solve it by using components only. There are 2 unknowns, the magnitude of the reaction force on the beam at the hinge and the angle that the force makes with the beam. Therefore you should be able to solve the problem with two equations (the force components must be zero in order for the beam to be in equilibrium).

What is the meaning of tension in a cable?

Tension is the pulling force applied to a cable or rope that is used to hold or support an object. It is responsible for keeping the cable taut and preventing it from sagging or breaking.

What factors affect the tension in a cable?

The tension in a cable is affected by the weight of the object it is supporting, the length and thickness of the cable, and the angle at which the cable is being pulled.

How is tension measured in a cable?

Tension is typically measured in units of force such as newtons or pounds. This can be done using a tension meter or by calculating the force using the cable's properties and the laws of physics.

How can the tension in a cable be increased or decreased?

The tension in a cable can be increased by adding more weight to the object it is supporting or by decreasing the angle at which the cable is being pulled. It can be decreased by removing weight or by increasing the angle of the cable.

Why is it important to calculate the tension in a cable?

Calculating the tension in a cable is important to ensure that the cable is strong enough to support the weight of the object it is holding. It also helps to prevent the cable from breaking or becoming too slack, which can cause damage or accidents.