Find α+β+αβ: 7 "Solving for α+β+αβ in Arithmetic Progression

In summary, the homework statement is that P(x) =ax2+bx+c where a, b, and c are in arithmetic progression and are positive. α and β are the roots of the equation and are integers. Find the value of α+β+αβ.
donaldparida

Homework Statement

P(x) =ax2+bx+c where a, b and c are in arithmetic progression and are positive. α and β are the roots of the equation and are integers. Find the value of α+β+αβ. (Answer is 7)

Homework Equations

x = {−b ± √(b2 − 4ac)} /2a
3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
Since a, b and c are in arithmetic progression, b-a=c-b.
α+β+αβ = -b/a+c/a = c-b/a = b-a/a

Physics news on Phys.org
You know that α and β are roots, so k*(x - α)(x - β) is equal to the polynomial. Expand this out with FOIL k*(x² - (α+β)x + αβ), set this equal to ax² + bx + c. Since they are roots, you do not know what the coefficient of x squared is, yet. So you can represent that k*(x² - (α+β)x + αβ) = ax² + bx + c. Now set the coefficients of the x² terms equal, the x terms, and the constant terms. This should give you a system of equations (along with your knowledge of the arithmetic progression). See if that gets you the answer.

@scottdave, What is k?

Last edited:
k is a constant which makes the two polynomials equal. You can have several distinct polynomials with the same roots. The difference is a proportionality constant. You will find that k is equal to a.

@scottdave Do you mean that equations which are related by a multiplicative factor have equal roots?

Sorry, but i am not getting the answer. I am getting some weird equation.

donaldparida said:
α+β+αβ = -b/a+c/a = c-b/a = b-a/a
Add brackets around the numerator and simplify.

You can also use the condition that the roots are integers.

@mfb, i cannot understand how to simplify it further.

$$\frac{b-a}{a} = \frac b a - \frac a a$$
And the second term can be simplified.

Afterwards you can have a look at the condition that α and β are integers.

@mfb, I thought you meant some other simplification. I could do that simplification by myself but i cannot simplify it further. I am getting -(α+β )-1=α+β+αβ. I cannot recall any related property of integer which would help me simplify it further.

α+β+αβ = b/a - 1. Keep that result for now.

α and β are integers. What does that imply for α+β+αβ?
What does it imply if you look at the formula for α (or β)?

I found out that if α or β are integers, then [{−b ± √(b2 − 4ac)} /2a] must also be integers. ('s' in 'integers' is due to the ± sign).

For them to be integers {−b ± √(b2 − 4ac)} and 2a must also be integers and {−b ± √(b2 − 4ac)} must be a multiple of 2a.

For {−b ± √(b2 − 4ac)} to be integer and an multiple of 2a, -b and √(b2 − 4ac) should be integers and should leave the same remainder on dividing by 2a.
For -b to be an integer b should be an integer (positive, given in the question) and for √(b2 − 4ac) to be an integer (b2 − 4ac) has to be a positive integer as well as a perfect square.

The most important conclusion is (b2 − 4ac) is a perfect square.

donaldparida said:
I found out that if α or β are integers, then [{−b ± √(b2 − 4ac)} /2a] must also be integers. ('s' in 'integers' is due to the ± sign).
That directly follows from the definition, yes.
For them to be integers {−b ± √(b2 − 4ac)} and 2a must also be integers
Why? You can show that, but it is not trivial.
and {−b ± √(b2 − 4ac)} must be a multiple of 2a.
Sure.
The most important conclusion is (b2 − 4ac) is a perfect square.
Right so far.

mfb said:
α and β are integers. What does that imply for α+β+αβ?
What does it imply if you look at the formula for α (or β)?

(i)If α and β are integers then α+β+αβ is also an integer.
(ii) b2>=4ac
=>(b/a)(b/c)>=4
=>-(α+β)(b/c)>=4
=>-(α+β){(b*a)/(c*a)}>=4
=>-(α+β)*[{-(α+β)}/αβ]>=4
=>(α+β)2/αβ>=4
=>(α+β)2/>=4αβ
=>α22+2αβ-4αβ>=0
=>(α-β)2>=0
=>α>=β

donaldparida said:
=>(α-β)2>=0
A squared real number is always >=0, there is no need to derive this over 9 lines.
=>α>=β
That does not follow from the previous line.
donaldparida said:
(i)If α and β are integers then α+β+αβ is also an integer.
Correct. And you know that α+β+αβ = b/a - 1. That tells you if b/a has to be an integer.

If b/a is an integer, you can rewrite your arithmetic progression and express c in terms of a and b. That should lead to some interesting results in the square root - which needs a perfect square in it.

Did you mean this
b-a=c-b
=>b-a+b=c
=>2b-a=c
=>2ak-a=c
=>a(2k-1)=c
or this
b-a=ak-b
=>2b-a-ak=0
=>2b-a(1+k)=0

If a, b, and c are the coefficients of a quadratic equation, what is the sum of the roots and what is the product of the roots?

donaldparida said:
@Chestermiller, sum of roots=-b/a and product of roots=c/a.
I'm not sure you used this, so $$\alpha + \beta +\alpha\beta=\frac{c-b}{a}$$Certainly, this isn't generally equal to 7, even for an arithmatic progression.

Chestermiller said:
Certainly, this isn't generally equal to 7, even for an arithmatic progression.
We also know ##\alpha## and ##\beta## are integers.
The problem is solvable, but it needs a few steps to get there.
donaldparida said:
Did you mean this
b-a=c-b
=>b-a+b=c
=>2b-a=c
=>2ak-a=c
=>a(2k-1)=c
or this
b-a=ak-b
=>2b-a-ak=0
=>2b-a(1+k)=0
Both will work, but the first definition of k is much more intuitive.

I am unable to understand how to proceed. Should i solve for k and then use it's value for determining a,b and c and thus α+β+αβ?

Ok. I think i got it.
Since α, β are integers, α+β+αβ is also an integer.
Since α+β+αβ is an integer, (b/a-1) is also an integer.
Since (b/a-1) is an integer, b/a is also an integer.
Since b/a is an integer, b is a multiple of a.
Therefore b=ak
Since a, b and c are in A.P. in the same order, b-a=c-b
=>2b-a=c
=>2ak-a=c
=>a(2k-1)=c
Therefore, P(x)=ax2+bx+c=ax2+akx+a(2k-1)
=>ax2+akx+a(2k-1)=0
Dividing both sides by a, we get,
x2+kx+(2k-1)=0
Since this equation is the same as the original one, it also has integer roots and since it has integer roots, the discriminant is a perfect square.
Therefore, k2-4.1.(2k-1)=q2 (say)
=>k2-8k+4=q2
=>(k-4)2-12=q2
=>(k-4)2-q2=12
=>(k-4+q)(k-4-q)=12
=>k-4+q=6 or k-4+q=4 ---(1)
and
k-4-q=2 or k-4-q=3 ---(2)
Adding equations(1) and (2) we get,
2k-8=8 or 2k-8=7
=>k=8 or k=15/2
For k=8, b=8a, c=15a and (c-b)/a=(15a-8a)/a=7a/a =7.
Therefore α+β+αβ=7.

Why did we get k=15/2?(The value of k for which an invalid value for α+β+αβ is obtained)

Last edited:
Likes mfb
Looks great!
Just some details:
donaldparida said:
Since b/a is an integer, a and b are both integers
4.2/2.1 = 2 is an integer, but 4.2 and 2.1 are not. You don't need it to write b=ak with an integer k.
donaldparida said:
Why did we get k=15/2?
It leads to 12 (with a non-integer q), but it violates the earlier condition that k has to be an integer.

4.2 and 2.1 are 8 and 2 respectively which are integers. Aren't they?

That is a decimal dot, not a multiplication sign ("*").

Likes donaldparida

1. What is an arithmetic progression?

An arithmetic progression is a sequence of numbers where the difference between each consecutive term is the same. For example, the sequence 1, 4, 7, 10, 13 is an arithmetic progression with a common difference of 3.

2. How do you solve for α+β+αβ in an arithmetic progression?

To solve for α+β+αβ, we first need to find the values of α and β. This can be done by using the formula for the nth term in an arithmetic progression: a_n = a_1 + (n-1)d, where a_n is the nth term, a_1 is the first term, and d is the common difference. Once we have the values of α and β, we can simply add them together and multiply by their product to find α+β+αβ.

3. What does α+β+αβ represent in an arithmetic progression?

In an arithmetic progression, α+β+αβ represents the sum of the first two terms (α and β) and their product (αβ). This can also be thought of as the sum of the first three terms in the sequence, where the third term is the product of the first two terms.

4. Can α and β be negative in an arithmetic progression?

Yes, α and β can be negative in an arithmetic progression. As long as the common difference (d) remains the same, the sequence will still be considered an arithmetic progression. This means that α and β can be any real numbers, including negative numbers.

5. Can you solve for α+β+αβ in a non-linear progression?

No, we cannot solve for α+β+αβ in a non-linear progression. In an arithmetic progression, the difference between consecutive terms is constant, making it possible to find the values of α and β. In a non-linear progression, the terms do not have a constant difference, so we cannot accurately determine the values of α and β.