Find Acceleration: Negative | Lines (a-e)

In summary, the conversation discusses how to identify the motion of an object with negative acceleration using position-versus-time curves. The conversation emphasizes the importance of understanding how to arrive at the answer rather than just being given the answer. A hint is provided to consider the slope of the curve.
iac0b
Which of the position-versus-time curves in the figure below best shows the following. (Select all that apply.)

2-figure-28.gif

(d) The motion of an object with negative acceleration.
Lines (a), (b), (c), (d), or (e)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What's your reasoning?

Well, I wish to know what the answer is and how to get it.

iac0b said:

I think he wants to know what exactly are you having a problem with in your question. Where exactly do you get stuck at? It wouldn't help you much if we just gave you the answer without making sure you understand HOW to get it. :smile:

Edit: PF rules don't let us just give people the answers to homework questions. Get as far as you can in the problem and then explain how you got there and what you don't understand if you can. Then we can help you!

iac0b said:
Here's a hint: What does the slope of the curve tell you?

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object changes its velocity over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. In simple terms, acceleration measures how quickly an object is speeding up, slowing down, or changing direction.

2. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. What does a negative acceleration mean?

A negative acceleration, also called deceleration, means that the object is slowing down. This can happen when an object is moving in the opposite direction of its initial velocity, or when it is decreasing in speed over time.

4. How can I find negative acceleration on a line graph?

To find negative acceleration on a line graph, look for a downward slope or a decrease in the slope of the line. This indicates that the object is slowing down, and the steeper the slope, the greater the deceleration.

5. Can an object have negative acceleration and positive velocity?

Yes, an object can have negative acceleration and positive velocity at the same time. This can happen when an object is slowing down in the positive direction. For example, a car moving forward at 30 m/s can have a negative acceleration of -5 m/s^2, meaning it is slowing down, but it still has a positive velocity of 25 m/s.