Find accumulation points (real analysis)

• Thread starter quasar987
  • Start date
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
We must find the accumulation point for the set

[tex]E = \left\{ \frac{n^2 + 3n + 5}{n^2 + 2} \vert n \in \mathbb{N} \right\} [/tex]

Now that is easy, we first rearange the terms so we see what happens in this mess when n varies. I did the following thing..

[tex]E = \left\{ \frac{n^2 + 2 + 3n + 3}{n^2 + 2} | n \in \mathbb{N} \right\} [/tex]

[tex]E = \left\{ \frac{n^2 + 2}{n^2 + 2} + \frac{3n + 3}{n^2 + 2} | n \in \mathbb{N} \right\} [/tex]

[tex]E = \left\{ 1 + \frac{3n}{n^2 + 2} + \frac {3}{n^2 + 2} | n \in \mathbb{N} \right\} [/tex]

[tex]E = \left\{ 1 + \frac{3}{n + \frac{2}{n}} + \frac {3}{n^2 + 2} | n \in \mathbb{N} \right\} [/tex]

Now it is clear that 1 is the only accumulation point and it happens when n is arbritrarily humongeous. But we must prove it! Usually, for sets that look like

[tex]E = \left\{ \frac{1}{n} | n \in \mathbb{N} \right\} [/tex]
or
[tex]E = \left\{ \frac{1}{2^n} | n \in \mathbb{N} \right\} [/tex],

we can prove by use of the Archimedean property (given [tex]\delta[/tex] element of real such that [tex]\delta >0[/tex], there exist an n element of the positive intergers such that for any y element of real, [tex]n \delta > y[/tex]), that

[tex] \forall \delta>0, V'(1,\delta) \cap E \neq \emptyset [/tex] (the definition of 1 being an accumulation point)

Now I can't see how we can use the Archimedean property here. Anyone sees a way to do this?

Thanks for your inputs!

Answers and Replies

Hurkyl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Well, let's see. One thing you would like to do is to show that [itex]3/(n^2+2) < \epsilon[/itex] for some [itex]\epsilon[/itex] that you have chosen, right?

Well, that's equivalent to showing that [itex]n^2 > (3 / \epsilon) - 2[/itex], right? Any ideas on using the archmedian property to show this?

quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
So you're saying that it would be okay, in order to prove that E has 1 as an accumulation point, to show that the terms,

[tex]\frac{3}{n + \frac{2}{n}} [/tex]

and

[tex]\frac {3}{n^2 + 2}[/tex]

have an accumulation point at 0. It crossed my mind but I didn't have any justification for it.

To answer your question: How about this way? We chose y to be [itex]3 - 2\delta[/itex] and since [itex]\delta>0[/itex], there exist [itex]n[/itex] such that

[tex]\delta n>3 - 2\delta[/tex]

divide both side by [itex]\delta[/itex] and argue that if there exist such a n, then [itex]n^2[/itex] satisfy the inequality just has much

[tex]n^2 > \frac{3}{\delta} - 2[/tex]

And now we can go back in time and find what we wanted, that is, [itex]\forall\delta>0[/itex],

[tex]\delta > \frac{3}{n^2 + 2} > 0[/tex]

Awesome! Ok, for [tex]\frac {3}{n + \frac{2}{n}}[/tex] now. Using your trick, we see that this is the same as showing that there exists n such that

[tex]n + \frac{2}{n} > \frac{3}{\delta}[/tex]

and that this is the same as showing that there exist n such that

[tex]n > \frac{3}{\delta}[/tex]

because if this is true, then for any, n, since [itex]n + \frac{2}{n}>n[/itex], our inequality is true too.

But proving that there exist n such that [itex]n > \frac{3}{\delta}[/itex] is just basic Archemede with y = 3, so we're done there too.

Is this OK? Did you have something else in mind?

Hurkyl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Yep; it was this basic idea I wanted to motivate. This is the basic principle behind many arguments: looking at each contribution to the "error", and show they vanish.