Find Adjoints of certain Operators

• Thread starter rebork
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Operators
In summary, the adjoint for x2d/dx is -d/dx*x2, and the adjoint for d2/dx2 is -(d/dx)^2. The correct way to express (AB)^\dagger is (B^\dagger)(A^\dagger), and this applies to both operators in this conversation.
rebork

Homework Statement

Find the adjoints for x2d/dx and d2/dx2

Homework Equations

I know that (x2)_dagger=x2 and that (d/dx)_dagger=-(d/dx).

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved x2d/dx by doing the following:

(x2)_dagger * (d/dx)_dagger= (x2) * (-d/dx)

thus the answer should be -x2d/dx

For the second adjoint can I do the same step as I did previously?

Is it right for me to separate (d2/dx2)_dagger into (d/dx)_dagger * (d/dx)_dagger?

I got d2/dx2 as the final answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
rebork said:
I solved x2d/dx by doing the following:

(x2)_dagger * (d/dx)_dagger= (x2) * (-d/dx)

thus the answer should be -x2d/dx

In general, it is not true that ##(AB)^\dagger = A^\dagger B^\dagger##. Have you learned the correct way to express ##(AB)^\dagger## in terms of ##A^\dagger## and ##B^\dagger##?

TSny said:
In general, it is not true that ##(AB)^\dagger = A^\dagger B^\dagger##. Have you learned the correct way to express ##(AB)^\dagger## in terms of ##A^\dagger## and ##B^\dagger##?

Yes I believe I figured it out yesterday!

##(AB)^\dagger##=(##B^\dagger##)(##A^\dagger##)

But for this d2/dx2, it will be the same result right or should I not be able to use that rule?

rebork said:
Yes I believe I figured it out yesterday!

##(AB)^\dagger##=(##B^\dagger##)(##A^\dagger##)

Yes, that's right. The order of the operators is switched.

But for this d2/dx2, it will be the same result right or should I not be able to use that rule?

No. The operator O1 = (x2 d/dx) is not the same as the operator O2 = (d/dx x2), as you can see if you compare the results of letting O1 and O2 operate on an arbitrary function f(x).

So I messed up for the first part:

(##(x2d/dx)^\dagger##) = (##(d/dx)^\dagger##)(##(x2)^\dagger##)

Then the result would be:

(-d/dx)*(x2)= -2x?

Last edited:
rebork said:
Then the result would be:

(-d/dx)*(x2)= -2x?

The left side is correct, but the right side isn't. See what you get if you let the operator (-d/dx*x2) act on a function f(x). First you will multiply f(x) by x2 and then take the derivative -d/dx.

Last edited:
TSny said:
The left side is correct, but the right side isn't. See what you get if you let the operator (-d/dx*x2) act on a function f(x). First you will multiply f(x) by x2 and then take the derivative -d/dx.

I see so I should've included the function as well.

So it would be -d(x2f(x))/dx= -2xf(x)-x2df(x)/dx. So what should my operator look like? Is it everything except for the f(x)?

rebork said:
So it would be -d(x2f(x))/dx= -2xf(x)-x2df(x)/dx. So what should my operator look like? Is it everything except for the f(x)?
Yes, that's right.

Thank you very much!

Is my second part correct where I applied the same concept but this time separate the second derivative?

rebork said:
Thank you very much!

Is my second part correct where I applied the same concept but this time separate the second derivative?

Second part is correct. Good work!

I really appreciate the help. Thank you :]

1. What are adjoints of operators?

Adjoint operators are a concept in functional analysis that are used to find the inverse of a given operator. They are defined as operators that satisfy a specific property, known as the adjoint property, which involves the inner product of two vectors.

2. How are adjoints of operators calculated?

The calculation of adjoint operators involves using the inner product of two vectors, as well as the properties of linear operators. In general, the adjoint of an operator can be found by taking the complex conjugate of the operator and then transposing it.

3. What is the importance of finding adjoints of operators?

Finding the adjoint of an operator is important in many areas of mathematics and physics, as it allows for the calculation of the inverse of an operator. This is especially useful in solving differential equations and studying the properties of linear systems.

4. Can any operator have an adjoint?

No, not all operators have adjoints. In order for an operator to have an adjoint, it must be a bounded and linear operator on a Hilbert space.

5. How are adjoints of operators used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, adjoint operators are used to represent observable quantities, such as position and momentum. They also play a crucial role in the formulation of the Heisenberg uncertainty principle and in the study of quantum states and their evolution over time.