Integer n: Solving the Equation ##\dfrac{n^2+3}{2n+4}## for Integers

• POTW
  • Thread starter anemone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integers
In summary, an integer is a whole number that can be positive, negative, or zero and does not include fractions or decimals. To solve an equation with integers, you can use basic operations and isolate the variable to find its value. The purpose of solving an equation with integers is to determine the value of the variable and its truth or falsity, as well as to solve real-world problems and understand number relationships. To solve the equation ##\dfrac{n^2+3}{2n+4}## for integers, you can use the distributive property and quadratic equation methods. Finding integer solutions to an equation is important in determining its real-world significance, understanding its behavior, and facilitating mathematical manipulations.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Find all integers n such that ##\dfrac{n^2+3}{2n+4}## is an integer as well.

Likes Greg Bernhardt, bob012345 and topsquark
Physics news on Phys.org
It is obvious that n is odd integer, so say n=2m+1
The given formula becomes
[tex]m-\frac{1}{2}-\frac{\frac{7}{4}}{m+\frac{3}{2}}[/tex]
So the RHS last term is half integer so
[tex]p(m)=\frac{\frac{7}{2}}{m+\frac{3}{2}}[/tex]is an odd integer.
[tex]|m+\frac{3}{2}|\leq\frac{7}{2}[/tex]
[tex]-5\leq m \leq 2[/tex]
Only p(-5)=-1,p(-2)=-7,p(-1)=7,p(2)=1 are odd integers which result
n=-9,-3,-1,5

Last edited:
Likes bob012345
If [tex]n^2 + 3 = k(2n+4)[/tex] then [tex]n^2 - 2kn + (3-4k) = 0.[/tex] The discriminant of that quadratic must be a perfect square, say [tex]k^2 + 4k-3 = m^2.[/tex] Then [tex](k+2)^2 - 7 = m^2.[/tex] The only squares that differ by 7 are 9 and 16, so [tex]k+2 = \pm4.[/tex] Thus either [tex]k = 2[/tex] and [tex]n^2 - 4n - 5 = 0,[/tex] giving [tex]n = -1 \text{ or }5;[/tex] or [tex]k= -6[/tex] and [tex]n^2 + 12n + 27 = 0,[/tex] giving [tex]n = -3 \text{ or }-9.[/tex]

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes DaveE, bob012345, Greg Bernhardt and 4 others
Graphically, the relation looks like the following graph if one extends it to the continuous regime. Interestingly, the integer n values are equally spaced on either side of the pole at x=−2 as −2±1 and −2±7.

desmos-graph (32).png

Last edited:
Likes Opalg
I also noticed that the lines ##y=x±3## intersect the curve ##\dfrac{x^2+3}{2x+4}## exactly at the integer solution points -9,-3,-1 and 5.

desmos-graph (1).png

If we let ##\dfrac{n^2+3}{2n+4} = n±3 ## we get the four integer solutions quickly because the solutions are the intercepts of the lines with the original function. This can be generalized as;

$$\dfrac{n^2+2k+1}{2n+4} = n±(k+2) \quad k=0,1,2,3...$$
The solutions are $$n=\{-2k-7, -3,-1, 2k+3\}$$ and the original case is recovered with ##k=1##.

EDIT: for very large values of ##k## this method does not get all the cases.

Last edited:
bob012345 said:
Graphically, the relation looks like the following graph if one extends it to the continuous regime. Interestingly, the integer n values are equally spaced on either side of the pole at x=−2 as −2±1 and −2±7.
[tex]y=\frac{x^2+3}{2x+4}=\frac{1}{2}(x+2+\frac{7}{x+2})-2[/tex]
So we see the graph is untisymmetric to the line ##y=-2## and ##x=-2##

Likes bob012345
(cont.)
say z=x+2
[tex]z+\frac{7}{z}=2n[/tex] even number.
[tex]z^2-2nz+7=0[/tex] should be
[tex](z-1)(z-7)=0[/tex] or
[tex](z+1)(z+7)=0[/tex]

Likes bob012345
I leave it so someone else to solve the even cases; $$\dfrac{n^2+2k }{2n+4} \quad k= 1,2,3...$$

bob012345 said:
I leave it so someone else to solve the even cases;
As for the extended problem : Find all integers n such that ##\frac{n^2+d}{2n+4}## with integer d, is an integer as well, we should get quadratic equation similar to #7
[tex]z^2-2mz+d+4=0[/tex]
If d+4 is prime number we would get answers similarly.
If d+4 is square number we would get z is ##\pm## square root of it.
More in general if we can factorize
[tex]d+4=MN[/tex]
where M and N are both odd or even, that provides the answer.
As for your interest of even d, it is any multiple of 4 so that both M and N are even.

Last edited:
anuttarasammyak said:
As for the extended problem : Find all integers n such that ##\frac{n^2+d}{2n+4}## with integer d, is an integer as well, we should get quadratic equation similar to #7
[tex]z^2-2mz+d+4=0[/tex]
If d+4 is prime number we would get answers similarly.
If d+4 is square number we would get z is ##\pm## square root of it.
More in general if we can factorize
[tex]d+4=MN[/tex]
where M and N are both odd or even, that provides the answer.
As for your interest of even d, it is any multiple of 4 so that both M and N are even.
Please clarify your process in #7. Where does the ##2n## come from?

$$z+\frac{7}{z}=2n$$

Also, for ##d+4=MN##, if d is even, don't both M and N have to be even?

bob012345 said:
Please clarify your process in #7. Where does the 2n come from?
In the formula of #6 due to the coefficient ##\frac{1}{2}##, ##z+\frac{7}{z}## is an even number so that y is an integer.
bob012345 said:
Also, for d+4=MN, if d is even, don't both M and N have to be even?
M,N are solutions of the quadratic equation of z. M+N =2m is even, i.e. they are both odd or even.

I agree the even cases only work for multiples of 4;

$$f(n)=\dfrac{n^2+4k }{2n+4} \quad k= 1,2,3...$$ where;

$$n=\{-2(k+2), -4,0, 2k\}$$ and the values of the relation are;

$$ f(n)=\{-4-k,k\}$$

EDIT: Again, for large values of ##k## this does not get all possible cases. See post #13 by @anuttarasammyak.

Last edited:
I think there are more cases than you show
e.g.
[tex]k+1=\frac{M}{2}\frac{N}{2}[/tex]
for k=119 (M/2,N/2)={(1,120),(2,60),(3,40),(4,30),(5,24),(6,20),(8,15),(10,12)} for M<N

Last edited:
anuttarasammyak said:
I think there are more cases than you show
e.g.
[tex]k+1=\frac{M}{2}\frac{N}{2}[/tex]
for k=119 (M/2,N/2)={(1,120),(2,60),(3,40),(4,30),(5,24),(6,20),(8,15),(10,12)} for M<N
Well, I did miss some! According to Wolfram Alpha, there are 32 integer solutions for k=119.

https://www.wolframalpha.com/input?i=+++(x^2++476)/(2x+4)+=+m+

I'm not sure what you mean by

$$k+1=\frac{M}{2}\frac{N}{2}$$ or how it works to generate solutions to the original problem. For example, for k=119, what is (1,120)? How is it a solution to the original problem?

Did you meant solutions to this?

$$ \dfrac{n^2+4*119 }{2n+4} $$

Last edited:
Likes anuttarasammyak
bob012345 said:
Well, I did miss some! According to Wolfram Alpha, there are 32 integer solutions for k=119.

https://www.wolframalpha.com/input?i=+++(x^2++476)/(2x+4)+=+m+
bob012345 said:
Did you meant solutions to this?
Yes. 32 solutions correspond with 16 solutions in post #13 doubled by putting minus sign.

bob012345 said:
For example, for k=119, what is (1,120)?
z=x+2=2, 240
x=0, 238
They are in your wolfram solution list. Explicitly
[tex]n=\pm 2q -2[/tex]where q is a devisor of k+1
[tex]k+1 \equiv 0(mod\ q)[/tex]

Last edited:
Likes bob012345

1. What is the equation ##\dfrac{n^2+3}{2n+4}##?

The equation ##\dfrac{n^2+3}{2n+4}## is a rational expression that involves a variable, n, in the numerator and denominator. It is a quadratic equation because it contains a variable with an exponent of 2.

2. How do I solve the equation ##\dfrac{n^2+3}{2n+4}## for integers?

To solve this equation for integers, you will need to use algebraic techniques such as factoring, completing the square, or the quadratic formula. These methods will help you find the values of n that make the equation true.

3. Can this equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, this equation can have multiple solutions. Since it is a quadratic equation, it can have up to two solutions. These solutions may be integers or fractions, depending on the specific values of n that make the equation true.

4. Are there any restrictions on the values of n in this equation?

Yes, there are some restrictions on the values of n in this equation. The denominator, 2n+4, cannot equal 0 because division by 0 is undefined. Therefore, n cannot equal -2. Additionally, since we are solving for integers, n must be a whole number.

5. How can I check my solution to this equation?

You can check your solution to this equation by plugging it back into the original equation. If the resulting expression is true, then your solution is correct. You can also graph the equation and see if your solution falls on the graph, or use a calculator to evaluate the equation for your solution and see if it equals the original expression.