1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find all points C on the line through A(1, -1, 2) and B(2, 0, 1) such that vectors ll

1. Jun 2, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find all points C on the line through A(1, -1, 2) and B(2, 0, 1) such that vectors llACll= 2 llBCll

2. Relevant equations

Not sure.

3. The attempt at a solution

I found the equation of the line for vector AB:
    (1,2,-1) +t(2,0,1)

Then found the scalar equation:
    x=1+2t
    y=-1
    x=2+t

I found that t is 1/4 from knowing that C is 1/4 from llACll= 2 llBCll , (where the distance of C is 1/4 from B, and 3/4 from A).

Plugging 1/4 = t gives
    x=3/2
    y=-1
    z=9/4

I stopped here and did not bother plugging in 3/4 since the answer in the back of the book says:
    C(3,1,0) and C(5/3,-1/3,4/3)

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Find all points C on the line through A(1, -1, 2) and B(2, 0, 1) such that vector

That isn't an equation since there is no = sign. And if you put (x,y,z)= on the left, it still isn't the correct equation for the line AB. (2,0,1) is point B, not the direction vector from A to B.

4. Jun 3, 2012 #3
    Re: Find all points C on the line through A(1, -1, 2) and B(2, 0, 1) such that vector

Okay, I re did it and obtained the direction vector AB which is (2,-1,-1).
    Using the same principle of t=1/4, I obtained (x,y,z) through the scalar equations, to be (3/2,-3/2,7/4).

What did I do wrong?

5. Jun 3, 2012 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The vector AB has length [itex]\sqrt{4+ 1+ 1}= \sqrt{6}[/itex]. Taking 1/4 of each coordinate gives an line segment of length [itex](1/4)\sqrt{6}[itex], not 1/4.

6. Jun 3, 2012 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Halls,

You're missing a "/" in your final [/itex] tag.

I put it into the above "QUOTE".

(I will remove this post shortly, assuming you edit yours.) :smile:

7. Jun 4, 2012 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, I fell asleep & failed to remove it.

DUH!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook