1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find all possible values of h

1. Dec 29, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find all possible values of h.
    fh(a+bx+cx2+dx3) =
    [ a+b+c+hd b+c ]
    [ -b-c-hd hb ]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    1) Row reduce the matrix

[ a+b+c+hd b+c ]
    [ -b-c-hd hb ]

to (R1+R2)

[ a hb+ b+c ]
    [ 0 hb ]

to (R1-R2)

[ a b+c ]
    [ 0 hb ]

a+b+c = 0
    hb = 0

From this row reduction I assume b=0, a=1 and c=-1
    h could still be any number though.
    So I got back to the original matrix.

a+b+c+hd+b+c=0
    -b-c-hd+hb=0

If I plug in the values I assumed (above) then I get d=-1 and h=-1

Is there a better / quicker way to do this? I seem to come across a lot of similar problems.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I don't understand the notation. Is fh a function? If yes, does the h in the name matter and what do you know about the function? Or is that a simple multiplication?
    The right side is a 2x2 matrix? If yes, is the equation true for a given x, or just for an arbitrary x?

4. Dec 29, 2015 #3
    It's a linear transformation

5. Dec 29, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

fh? Of a real number to 2x2 matrices of real numbers? An arbitrary one?
    My crystal ball isn't working properly today, so I cannot know that if you don't write it.

6. Dec 30, 2015 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Just guessing here, is the matrix in the fh equation supposed to be surrounded by vectors involving x, maybe [1 x], [1 x]T?

7. Dec 30, 2015 #6
    It's a P3 to M2x2 linear transformation. The first part of the question, which I'm having difficulty understanding, asks to find all possible values of h. I'm confused because h can have many many values, depending on what the values of x,y,z are and depending on what I set the polynomial of the matrix equations equal to.

i.e.
    [ a+b+c+hd b+c ]
    [ -b-c-hd hb ]

a+b+c+hd + b+c = 0
    -b-c-hd+hb = 0

In this case I can row reduce the matrix to simplify both equations
    a + hb + b+c = 0
    0 + hb = 0

My confusion here is that I can see hb = 0, but h could be 0 or b could be 0 and h could be any number. So I don't really know how I'm supposed to answer this question. 'Find all possible values of h' ... Well h = 0, h ≠ 0 (essentially saying h= 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,....etc)

8. Dec 30, 2015 #7
    With my row reducing of the matrix (above) and setting both equations from the matrix = 0 I can show that h could = 0 or it could equal a positive number of a negative number. So is it enough for me to say all possible values of h are 0,1,-1 ?

9. Dec 30, 2015 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I must be missing something. It seems to me that fh constitutes a linear transformation regardless of the value of h.
    You know the definition of a linear transformation, right? How would you check that fh is such?

10. Dec 30, 2015 #9
    Yes. The second part of the question asks for the kernel and image. I know how to do that, but I'm confused with how i find all possible values of h.

11. Dec 30, 2015 #10

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Well, if you apply the definition of a linear transformation, can you either deduce something about h or show that it is a linear transformation regardless of h?
    For the kernel and image, they will depend on h, no?

12. Dec 30, 2015 #11
    That's what confuses me. If I take the original matrix and split it into two equations and make them = 0 then my value of h depends on my value of a,b,c,d and vice versa.

a+b+c+hd + b+c = 0
    -b-c-hd + hb = 0

13. Dec 30, 2015 #12

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I don't understand why two equations. If P is in the kernel, what matrix would fh(P) be?

14. Dec 30, 2015 #13
    Isn't writing the matrix of the linear transformation:

[ a+b+c+hd _ b+c | 0 ]
    [ -b-c-hd _ hb | 0 ]

the same as writing them as two equations?

a+b+c+hd + b+c = 0
    -b-c-hd + hb = 0

15. Dec 30, 2015 #14

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

you've lost me. The linear transformation of interest is fh. That effectively maps a four vector to a four vector, so its matrix would be written as a 4x4.
    Try to answer my question. If P is in the kernel of fh what does the 2x2 matrix fh(P) look like?

16. Dec 30, 2015 #15
    I don't understand your question. sorry.

17. Dec 30, 2015 #16

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

For the purposes of the question, the set of polynomials of degree 3 is just a vector space here. Likewise the set of 2x2 matrices over R. fh is a linear transformation from the first to the second.
    When we say that an element X is in the kernel of a linear transformation T, what equation expresses that?

18. Dec 30, 2015 #17
    fh: P3 → M2x2

Ax = 0

19. Dec 30, 2015 #18

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Right, so write that last equation out for the case where x is the polynomial a+bx+cx2+dx3.

20. Dec 30, 2015 #19
    I don't know how to format this, but it's the original 2x2 matrix * (1,x,x2,x3) = 0, only 1,x,x2,x3 would be a column.

[ a+b+c+hd b+c ] * ((1,x,x2,x3) = 0
    [ -b-c-hd hb ]

21. Dec 30, 2015 #20
    But we'd need a 4x4 matrix for A though for this to work...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted