Real Solutions for Quadratic Equation 5x^2+2x+1=0

• Thread starter jvignacio
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the quadratic formula to solve the equation 5x^2+2x+1=0, and the discovery that the equation has no real number roots, but instead has complex roots. The correct version of the quadratic formula is also mentioned.
jvignacio

Homework Statement

5x^2+2x+1=0

Homework Equations

-b +- sqrt{b^2 +- 4ac}

The Attempt at a Solution

once applied the quadratic formula, i got a minus under the discrimant which means i received an error. any other recommendations on how to solve this baby?

Physics news on Phys.org
There's no error here if you copied the question correctly. The roots of this equation are complex.

The roots of this equation are complex, but you should be aware that the Quadratic Formula is not the one you typed: it is

[tex]
\frac{-b \pm \sqrt{b^2 - 4ac}}{2a}
[/tex]

The version you have could cause you massive grief in the future.

yes sorry i ment that formula. So this equation has no roots(complex)

It has no real number roots which was the question (I think) you intended to pose.

1. What does "find all real solutions" mean?

"Find all real solutions" means to determine all possible values of a variable or set of variables that make an equation or system of equations true.

2. Why is it important to find all real solutions?

Finding all real solutions is important because it ensures that we have a complete understanding of the problem at hand and can accurately solve for the unknown variables.

3. How do you find all real solutions?

To find all real solutions, we need to manipulate the given equations or system of equations using algebraic techniques such as substitution, elimination, or graphing. This allows us to isolate the variable(s) and solve for their value(s).

4. Can there be more than one set of real solutions?

Yes, there can be multiple sets of real solutions for a given equation or system of equations. This can happen when the equations have multiple variables or when the equations are non-linear.

5. What is the difference between real and imaginary solutions?

Real solutions are values of the variable(s) that make the equation or system of equations true and are represented by real numbers. Imaginary solutions, on the other hand, are values of the variable(s) that do not make the equation true and are often represented by the imaginary unit, i, in the form of a complex number.