1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find all solutions to Sin 2x = 2Tan 2x

1. Jun 28, 2005 #1
    Is this correct??

Hello All

I need to find all solutions to the following did i do it correct?

Sin 2x = 2Tan 2x

2Sinx Cosx = 2(2Tanx / 1-Tan^2x)

Sinx Cosx = (2(Sinx / Cosx)/(cos^2x-Sin^2x / Cos^2x))

Sinx Cosx = 2(Sinx / Cosx) X (Cos^2x / cos^2x-Sin^2x)

Cosx = 2 (Cosx / Cos^2x - Sin^2x)

1 = (2 / Cos^2x - Sin^2x)

Cos^2x - Sin^2x = 2

1 - Sinx^2 - Sin^2x = 2

2Sin^2x = -1
    Sin^2x = -1/2

Sinx = -1/SQROOT(2)

Is this correct??

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2005 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Nope.
    Remember that Tan(2x)=Sin(2x)/Cos(2x)

Thus, you may rewrite your original equation as:
    [tex]\sin(2x)(1-\frac{2}{\cos(2x)})=0[/tex]

EDIT:
    Find out the requirements for either factor to be zero; you should find that one of those requirements is impossible to achieve.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2005
  4. Jun 28, 2005 #3

SGT

You certainly made a mistake. You arrived to the equation:
    [tex]cos^2x - sin^2x = 2[/tex]
    but
    [tex]cos^2x - sin^2x = cos 2x[/tex]
    So you have
    cos 2x = 2
    This has no real solution.
    proceeding your development you got
    [tex]sin^2x = -\frac{1}{2}[/tex]
    whose solution is
    [tex]sin x = -\frac{i}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]

5. Jun 28, 2005 #4
    Let's call tan(x) "t"

then we have 2*t/(1+t^2)=4*t/(1-t^2)

we must exclude that t=+-1 to give the expression a meaning. (x!=pi/4+kpi/2)

then we obtain one solution: t=0 (x=kpi)
    we have if t!=0: 1-t^2=2+2t^2 that is 3t^2=-1, which has no real solution (anyway you could be interested in finding the complex ones)
    So the only real solution is x=k*pi, where k belongs to Z

6. Jun 28, 2005 #5
    Arildno Which side are you talking about?

SGT: Did have COS2x = 2 but was told by a classmate that I did the problem wrong. I kind of get confussed with the 2x in the statment. What does it really mean.

7. Jun 28, 2005 #6

SGT

I did not follow all your development because your notation is almost unintelligible, but I think your classmate is right. You probably made some mistake.
    The 2x means the double of the arc x. If [tex]x = \frac{\pi}{3}[/tex] for instance, then [tex]2x = \frac{2\pi}{3}[/tex]

8. Jun 29, 2005 #7

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

1. Our problem is to determine the set of x-values that makes
    [tex]\sin(2x)=2\tan(2x)[/tex]
    into a TRUE statement.
    That is, we want to find the "solutions" to that equation.

2. We have, for all x-values the identity [tex]\tan(2x)=\frac{\sin(2x)}{\cos(2x)}[/tex]
    where with "all x-values" should be understood all real values except those for which [tex]\cos(2x)=0[/tex] (i.e, when tan(2x) is infinite).

3. Given the identity in 2., we may rephrase our original problem into finding the solution set for the following equation:
    [tex]\sin(2x)=2\frac{\sin(2x)}{\cos(2x)}[/tex]

4. Now, adding any arbitrary number to both sides of an equation won't change the solution set we're after, so by adding -sin(2x) to both sides, we can rephrase our problem into determining the solution set to the following equation:
    [tex]2\frac{\sin(2x)}{\cos(2x)}-\sin(2x)=0[/tex]

5) Arbitrary real numbers a,b,c fulfill the distributive law: a*(b+c)=a*b+a*c
    Recognizing the common factor sin(2x) on the left-hand side expression in the equation given under 4., we may rephrase our problem into determining the solution set of the following equation:
    [tex]\sin(2x)*(\frac{2}{\cos(2x)}-1)=0[/tex]

6) Now, if the product of two numbers is to be zero, then at least one of the numbers themselves must be zero.
    Therefore, if the equation under 5. is to be a true statement, then we must have EITHER:
    [tex]\sin(2x)=0[/tex]
    OR:
    [tex]\frac{2}{\cos(2x)}-1=0[/tex]

7. Let's look at the last one.
    If we are to have [tex]\frac{2}{\cos(2x)}-1=0[/tex], then this is equivalent to demanding [tex]\cos(2x)=2[/tex]
    But, since the cosine is always less than or equal to 2, we see that the statement:
    [tex]\cos(2x)=2[/tex] cannot have any solutions at all
    (that is, whatever number "x" you substitute into the expression on the left-hand side, will never make cos(2x) equal to 2.

Thus, we may conclude, that the solution set to our original problem will be the solution set of the equation:
    [tex]\sin(2x)=0[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook