Find all solutions to Sin 2x = 2Tan 2x

• Thread starter powp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sin
In summary: OR:2x= 0 + k\piwhere k is any integer number.In summary, the solutions to the equation Sin 2x = 2Tan 2x are x = k*pi, where k is any integer number.
powp
Is this correct??

Hello All

I need to find all solutions to the following did i do it correct?

Sin 2x = 2Tan 2x

2Sinx Cosx = 2(2Tanx / 1-Tan^2x)

Sinx Cosx = (2(Sinx / Cosx)/(cos^2x-Sin^2x / Cos^2x))

Sinx Cosx = 2(Sinx / Cosx) X (Cos^2x / cos^2x-Sin^2x)

Cosx = 2 (Cosx / Cos^2x - Sin^2x)

1 = (2 / Cos^2x - Sin^2x)

Cos^2x - Sin^2x = 2

1 - Sinx^2 - Sin^2x = 2

2Sin^2x = -1
Sin^2x = -1/2

Sinx = -1/SQROOT(2)

Is this correct??

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Nope.
Remember that Tan(2x)=Sin(2x)/Cos(2x)

Thus, you may rewrite your original equation as:
[tex]\sin(2x)(1-\frac{2}{\cos(2x)})=0[/tex]

EDIT:
Find out the requirements for either factor to be zero; you should find that one of those requirements is impossible to achieve.

Last edited:
You certainly made a mistake. You arrived to the equation:
[tex]cos^2x - sin^2x = 2[/tex]
but
[tex]cos^2x - sin^2x = cos 2x[/tex]
So you have
cos 2x = 2
This has no real solution.
proceeding your development you got
[tex]sin^2x = -\frac{1}{2}[/tex]
whose solution is
[tex]sin x = -\frac{i}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]

Let's call tan(x) "t"

then we have 2*t/(1+t^2)=4*t/(1-t^2)

we must exclude that t=+-1 to give the expression a meaning. (x!=pi/4+kpi/2)

then we obtain one solution: t=0 (x=kpi)
we have if t!=0: 1-t^2=2+2t^2 that is 3t^2=-1, which has no real solution (anyway you could be interested in finding the complex ones)
So the only real solution is x=k*pi, where k belongs to Z

Arildno Which side are you talking about?

SGT: Did have COS2x = 2 but was told by a classmate that I did the problem wrong. I kind of get confussed with the 2x in the statement. What does it really mean.

powp said:

SGT: Did have COS2x = 2 but was told by a classmate that I did the problem wrong. I kind of get confussed with the 2x in the statement. What does it really mean.
I did not follow all your development because your notation is almost unintelligible, but I think your classmate is right. You probably made some mistake.
The 2x means the double of the arc x. If [tex]x = \frac{\pi}{3}[/tex] for instance, then [tex]2x = \frac{2\pi}{3}[/tex]

powp said:

1. Our problem is to determine the set of x-values that makes
[tex]\sin(2x)=2\tan(2x)[/tex]
into a TRUE statement.
That is, we want to find the "solutions" to that equation.

2. We have, for all x-values the identity [tex]\tan(2x)=\frac{\sin(2x)}{\cos(2x)}[/tex]
where with "all x-values" should be understood all real values except those for which [tex]\cos(2x)=0[/tex] (i.e, when tan(2x) is infinite).

3. Given the identity in 2., we may rephrase our original problem into finding the solution set for the following equation:
[tex]\sin(2x)=2\frac{\sin(2x)}{\cos(2x)}[/tex]

4. Now, adding any arbitrary number to both sides of an equation won't change the solution set we're after, so by adding -sin(2x) to both sides, we can rephrase our problem into determining the solution set to the following equation:
[tex]2\frac{\sin(2x)}{\cos(2x)}-\sin(2x)=0[/tex]

5) Arbitrary real numbers a,b,c fulfill the distributive law: a*(b+c)=a*b+a*c
Recognizing the common factor sin(2x) on the left-hand side expression in the equation given under 4., we may rephrase our problem into determining the solution set of the following equation:
[tex]\sin(2x)*(\frac{2}{\cos(2x)}-1)=0[/tex]

6) Now, if the product of two numbers is to be zero, then at least one of the numbers themselves must be zero.
Therefore, if the equation under 5. is to be a true statement, then we must have EITHER:
[tex]\sin(2x)=0[/tex]
OR:
[tex]\frac{2}{\cos(2x)}-1=0[/tex]

7. Let's look at the last one.
If we are to have [tex]\frac{2}{\cos(2x)}-1=0[/tex], then this is equivalent to demanding [tex]\cos(2x)=2[/tex]
But, since the cosine is always less than or equal to 2, we see that the statement:
[tex]\cos(2x)=2[/tex] cannot have any solutions at all
(that is, whatever number "x" you substitute into the expression on the left-hand side, will never make cos(2x) equal to 2.

Thus, we may conclude, that the solution set to our original problem will be the solution set of the equation:
[tex]\sin(2x)=0[/tex]

1. What does the equation Sin 2x = 2Tan 2x mean?

The equation Sin 2x = 2Tan 2x represents a trigonometric equation that involves the sine and tangent functions of an angle 2x. It is asking for all possible values of 2x that satisfy the equation.

2. How do you find the solutions to Sin 2x = 2Tan 2x?

To find the solutions to this equation, we can use algebraic manipulation and trigonometric identities to rewrite it in terms of one trigonometric function. In this case, we can rewrite the equation as Sin 2x = 2Sin 2x/Cos 2x. Then, we can solve for Sin 2x by setting the two expressions equal to each other and solving for x.

3. Are there any restrictions on the values of x in Sin 2x = 2Tan 2x?

Yes, there are restrictions on the values of x in this equation. Since the tangent function has a vertical asymptote at x = π/2, we must exclude this value from the possible solutions. Additionally, since the sine function has a period of 2π, we can add integer multiples of 2π to our solutions to account for all possible values of x.

4. How many solutions are there to Sin 2x = 2Tan 2x?

There are infinitely many solutions to this equation. This is because the sine and tangent functions are periodic, meaning they repeat their values after a certain interval. Therefore, there are multiple values of x that can satisfy the equation.

5. Can you graph the solutions to Sin 2x = 2Tan 2x?

No, we cannot graph the solutions to this equation on a standard x-y coordinate plane. This is because the solutions involve trigonometric functions, which are not linear. However, we can use a graphing calculator or computer software to visualize the solutions and their patterns.