What Angle Maximizes Air Time for a 34.6m Football Punt?

In summary, the football punter can punt a maximum range of 40.8 m and wants to punt only 34.6 m while maximizing the time the ball is in the air. Neglecting air resistance and assuming the same force is used every time, the punter should kick the ball at an angle of 29.0 degrees from the horizontal. If he hits it perfectly, the ball will stay in the air for 1.98 seconds. However, there may be multiple mathematical solutions to this problem, so further calculations or adjustments may be needed.
mh_99

Homework Statement

A football punter can punt a maximum range of 40.8 m. If he instead wants to punt only 34.6 m, but maximize the time the ball is in the air, at what angle from the horizontal should he kick the ball, and how long will it stay in the air if he hits it perfectly? (neglect air resistance) Assume he can kick the ball with the same force every time.

Homework Equations

• R = (u2sin 2θ) / g
  • Rmax = u2/g

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the above equations to solve the problem but I'm getting 29.0 degrees and 1.98 seconds. When I try to submit my answers says it's wrong. Do I have the right sig figures or it just something wrong on my calculations

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello and welcome to PF!

Consider the possibility that there might be more than one mathematical solution to your equations. In particular, the inverse sine function on your calculator probably only gives you the "principal value". For example, my calculator tells me sin-1(0.5) is 30 degrees. It misses the fact that sin(150o) is also 0.5.

Likes TomHart
Why don't you show your calcs.

What if he kicked it at 90 degrees?

1. How do you find the angle in degrees?

To find the angle in degrees, you need to divide the arc length by the radius of the circle and then multiply by 180 degrees.

2. What is the formula for finding the angle in radians?

The formula for finding the angle in radians is to divide the arc length by the radius of the circle.

3. How do you convert degrees to seconds?

To convert degrees to seconds, you need to multiply the degrees by 3600.

4. How do you convert radians to degrees?

To convert radians to degrees, you need to multiply the radians by 180/π.

5. What is the difference between an angle in degrees and an angle in radians?

An angle in degrees is measured in units of degrees, while an angle in radians is measured in units of radians. One radian is equal to 180/π degrees.