How Do You Calculate Cosine Theta from Work, Force, and Distance?

• Thread starter Lord Amirul
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angle
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the angle for a given force and distance, with the work done and speed of the block also given. It is determined that the angle is 46° and the mass of the block is 16 kg. The concept of redundant information is also explained.
Lord Amirul

Homework Statement

upload_2016-4-3_11-3-55.png

In the diagram , a block rests on a smooth horizontal surface . It is then pushed with a force of 45 N at an angle of Θ(theta) to the horizontal . 50 J of work has been done to push the block through a distance of 1.60 m Its speed is 2.50 m s^-1.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to find joule . but this time , it is given joule and to find the angle
the formula I use for finding joule is W = F x d x costine(theta)
however , this time it is like costine(theta) = W x F x d

Physics news on Phys.org
The last step in your calculation got muddled up
cos theta = 50/(45*1.60) = 0.6944 or theta = 46°

The problem is over defined, you can find the mass of the block as its velocity at the end of 1.60 m travel is given how think?

Lord Amirul said:
however , this time it is like costine(theta) = W x F x d
No, it's still W cos(theta) = F x d. It's just that you know W, F and d and wish to find theta.
Let'sthink said:
The problem is over defined, you can find the mass of the block as its velocity at the end of 1.60 m travel is given how think?
It is not over-defined. If it were, you would be able to derive some of the given information from other given information. There is redundant information.

m = [(2*50)/{2.50²}] = 16 kg
a = [(2.50²)/(2*1.60)] = 1.953125
Fx = 16*1.953125 = 31.25 N
cos theta = 31.25/45 = 0.6944 or theta = 46°
I have not used the work done formula.
May be that is what you mean by redundant for work done.

Let'sthink said:
m = [(2*50)/{2.50²}] = 16 kg
a = [(2.50²)/(2*1.60)] = 1.953125
Fx = 16*1.953125 = 31.25 N
cos theta = 31.25/45 = 0.6944 or theta = 46°
I have not used the work done formula.
May be that is what you mean by redundant for work done.
It's not a question of which formulae you use, but of which information you use.
Suppose you had not been told the final velocity. You could not then determine the mass, but you could still go through the sequence you posted above using unknowns for those and arrive at the answer. In effect, you will have used the work done formula, but disguised as a sequence of other formulae from which it can be deduced.

Redundant information is merely information that is of no help in finding the answer. Since the mass here is not given, the final velocity falls into that category. You could change the final velocity to any number you like, keeping all other given information the same. The mass will change, but the work done will not.

A problem is overspecified if you can use different minimal subsets of the given information to arrive at the answer. In this case, some of the given information can be deduced from other given information. In some cases, they may even be in conflict, with the result that you will get different answers to the question according to which way you solve it. (This does happen!)

I agree with you haruspex, I should have used the term redundant in place of over defined for which now you have given the right term over specified. I am sorry for my terminological in-exactitude.

thank you so much . All of your answers help me a lot .

What is the formula for finding the cosine of an angle?

The formula for finding the cosine of an angle is cos(theta) = adjacent/hypotenuse. This formula is commonly known as the "SOH-CAH-TOA" rule, which stands for "sine equals opposite over hypotenuse," "cosine equals adjacent over hypotenuse," and "tangent equals opposite over adjacent."

How do I find the cosine of an angle on a calculator?

To find the cosine of an angle on a calculator, you can use the "cos" button, usually located near the top of the calculator. First, enter the value of the angle in degrees or radians, depending on the mode of your calculator. Then, press the "cos" button to calculate the cosine of the angle.

What is the range of values for cosine?

The range of values for cosine is between -1 and 1. This means that the cosine of any angle will always be a number between -1 and 1, inclusive. A cosine value of -1 represents a negative angle, 0 represents a right angle, and 1 represents a positive angle.

Can the cosine of an angle be greater than 1 or less than -1?

No, the cosine of an angle cannot be greater than 1 or less than -1. This is because the range of values for cosine is between -1 and 1. If the angle is greater than 1 or less than -1, it means that the calculation was done incorrectly.

How is the cosine of an angle used in real life?

The cosine of an angle is used in various real-life applications, such as in navigation, engineering, and physics. It is used to calculate the length of sides in right triangles, determine the direction and magnitude of forces, and calculate the distance and direction between two points on a map. It is also used in fields like astronomy, where it helps in measuring the positions of stars and planets.