Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find angle from involute

1. Feb 4, 2005 #1
    This is my first post and I am not sure how to get the math symbols used in formulas.
    The formula for the involute of an angle is: involute of theta = tangent of theta - pi * theta / 180.
    If I know the involute of theta how do I solve for theta?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Is that tan(theta- pi*theta/180) or tan(theta)- pi*theta/180?? Parentheses are important!

Guessing that it is the former, use the arctan!
  4. Feb 4, 2005 #3
    No it is the latter tan(theta)- pi*theta/180

example .014904=tan(20)-pi*20/180
  5. Feb 4, 2005 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Hmm, now that's much harder. In general you cannot get a "formula" solution to a transcendental equation, which this is, with the unknown both inside and outside a transcendental function (tangent). A numerical solution is probably the best you can do.
  6. Feb 4, 2005 #5
    A numerical answer is what I am looking for in the end. This is the situation. I have an Excel spreadsheet with some formulas for figuring the measurement over wires of special thread forms. One formula gives me the involute of an angle. I then have to look up the coresponding angle in a table and enter that angle in the next formula. I am trying to come up with a way to calculate the angle without having to look in the table. If the angle is accurate to three decimal places this should be fine for my needs. I would greatly appreciate any help
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?