How can I efficiently type mathematical equations without a computer or laptop?

• Thread starter nycmathguy
  • Start date
In summary, you typically use the MathMagic Lite app for typing math, but I use TeX quite a lot and have customized my keyboard shortcuts. You do not have a computer or laptop and copy and paste most of your questions from downloaded textbooks. For geometric figures, you take a screenshot of the relevant page in the textbook and resize it for clarity.
nycmathguy
Homework Statement
Find any intercepts for the given equation.
Relevant Equations
n/a
Find any intercepts for each given equation.

x = y^2 - 5

Let y = 0

x = (0)^2 - 5

x = 0 - 5

x = - 5

The x-intercept is x = -5 and it's found at the point (-5, 0).

Let x = 0

0 = y^2 - 5

5 = y^2

sqrt{5} = sqrt{y^2}

-sqrt{5} = y

sqrt{5} = y

The y-intercepts are y = -sqrt{5} and
y = sqrt{5}. Both are found at the point
(0, -sqrt{5}) and (0, sqrt{5}).

You say?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is correct.

It is also standard to write functions as ##y=f(x)## and points as ##(x,y)##. You have swapped the roles of ##x## and ##y##. This is allowed, but confusing.

If you put ## in front and after every formula then you already have most of the LaTeX code. sqrt{5} should be \sqrt{5} and the sign for plus minus is \pm.

Likes nycmathguy
fresh_42 said:
It is correct.

It is also standard to write functions as ##y=f(x)## and points as ##(x,y)##. You have swapped the roles of ##x## and ##y##. This is allowed, but confusing.

If you put ## in front and after every formula then you already have most of the LaTeX code. sqrt{5} should be \sqrt{5} and the sign for plus minus is \pm.
Can you provide a few LaTex examples?

Examples are here:
https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/

I started to learn it by looking at the texts others wrote. If you click on a post with the reply function, e.g.
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/math-challenge-june-2021.1003663/
then you see all codes which were used. If it doesn't show you the code, then hit the "Toggle BB Code" button in the editor, which is the second to the rightmost, the one with the brackets icon. If you duplicate the tab in your browser, you can even compare them one on one: one tab with the layout and one with the code.
Just make sure you do not hit the post button if you are only looking for examples!

However, your basic needs are simple for now:

Those examples ##\frac{2}{3}## ~ ##\frac{2}{3}## and ##\dfrac{1}{4}## ~ ##\dfrac{1}{4}## are all inline codes, i.e. linear imbedded in the text. Others are:
##3x^2+4x=-5## ~ ##3x^2+4x=-5##
## \pm \sqrt{25}## ~ ## \pm \sqrt{25}##
##\binom{5}{2}= 10 ## ~ ##\binom{5}{2}= 10 ##

And if you want to write a certain formula in an extra line, just use $ instead of #. E.g.
$$
e^{i\pi} +1 =0\; \text{~ e^{i\pi} +1 =0}
$$

Likes nycmathguy
fresh_42 said:
Examples are here:

I started to learn it by looking at the texts others wrote. If you click on a post with the reply function, e.g.
then you see all codes which were used. If it doesn't show you the code, then hit the "Toggle BB Code" button in the editor, which is the second to the rightmost, the one with the brackets icon. If you duplicate the tab in your browser, you can even compare them one on one: one tab with the layout and one with the code.
Just make sure you do not hit the post button if you are only looking for examples!

Those examples ##\frac{2}{3}## ~ ##\frac{2}{3}## and ##\dfrac{1}{4}## ~ ##\dfrac{1}{4}## are all inline codes, i.e. linear imbedded in the text. Others are:

And if you want to write a certain formula in an extra line, just use $ instead of #. E.g.
$$
$$
I will work on it.

Likes SammyS
fresh_42 said:
Examples are here:

$$
$$
I typically use the MathMagic Lite app.

nycmathguy said:
I typically use the MathMagic Lite app.
Well, I use TeX quite a lot, here and meanwhile for private use, too. I certainly do not use the full functionality, but some dozen commands. I downloaded AutoHotKey which allows me to define my personal keys. E.g. for
\{\} I hit Alt+N and for {} it's Ctrl+N, for a quotient \dfrac{}{} it's Alt+D. It took a while to learn all alternate keys, but it helps me a lot. I can meanwhile type math as fast as I type ordinary text.

fresh_42 said:
Well, I use TeX quite a lot, here and meanwhile for private use, too. I certainly do not use the full functionality, but some dozen commands. I downloaded AutoHotKey which allows me to define my personal keys. E.g. for
\{\} I hit Alt+N and for {} it's Ctrl+N, for a quotient \dfrac{}{} it's Alt+D. It took a while to learn all alternate keys, but it helps me a lot. Meanwhile I can type math as fast as I type ordinary text.
1. I don't have a computer or laptop.

2. I copy and paste most of my questions from downloaded textbooks.

3. For geometric figures, I screen shot a given page in the textbook and then shrink the picture to focus on the question.

1. What are intercepts in math?

Intercepts in math refer to the points where a graph or curve crosses the x-axis or y-axis. These points are also known as x-intercepts and y-intercepts, respectively.

2. How do you find intercepts?

To find intercepts, you can set either the x or y variable to 0 and solve for the other variable. This will give you the coordinates of the intercept point. For example, to find the x-intercept, set y=0 and solve for x.

3. Can you have more than one intercept?

Yes, a graph or curve can have multiple intercepts. This means that it crosses the x-axis or y-axis at more than one point.

4. What does it mean if the intercept is negative?

If an intercept is negative, it means that the point is located on the negative side of the axis. For example, a negative x-intercept would be located to the left of the y-axis, while a negative y-intercept would be located below the x-axis.

5. How are intercepts useful in math and science?

Intercepts are useful in math and science because they help us understand the behavior of a graph or curve. They can also be used to find the solutions to equations and to analyze the relationship between variables in a system.