How do I get the book's answer for finding the area of a gable?

• MHB
  • Thread starter xyz_1965
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area
In summary, the conversation discussed finding the height and area of a right-triangle gable using trigonometry. The height was found to be 27.3 feet and the area was calculated to be 906.4 square feet. The book's answer was slightly different at 906.9 square feet. The conversation also clarified that the term "radius" should not be used in this context and that the correct term is half the base of the gable.
xyz_1965
Good morning everyone. I'm working on some right-triangle trigonometry problems in the Cohen textbook as I wait to receive my Sullivan precalculus book. It should arrive next week.

Suppose that theta = 39.4° and x = 43.0 feet. Find h and round answer to one decimal place.

I found h to be 27.3 feet.

The gable is the triangular region bounded by the rafters and the attic floor. Find the area of the gable. Round the final answer to one decimal place.

Before calculating the area, I needed to find the radius, which turns out to be 33.2 feet.

I then used A = (1/2)(base)(height).
My answer is 906.4 ft^2.
The book's answer is 906.9 ft^2.
How do I get the book's answer?

20200731_105122.jpg

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I wouldn't use the word "radius" since there is no circle. I presume you mean half the base of the gable. Yes, the height is the "opposite side" of a right triangle with angle 39.4 degrees and hypotenuse 43 feet. h= 43*sin(39.4)= 27.3 feet rounded to one decimal place. One half the base is b= 43*cos(39.4)= 33.2 feet.

The area of the gable is (27.3)(33.2)= 906.4 square feet, not 906.7

$A = \dfrac{1}{2} \cdot 43^2 \cdot \sin[180 - 2(39.4)] \approx 906.9 \, ft^2$

Country Boy said:
I wouldn't use the word "radius" since there is no circle. I presume you mean half the base of the gable. Yes, the height is the "opposite side" of a right triangle with angle 39.4 degrees and hypotenuse 43 feet. h= 43*sin(39.4)= 27.3 feet rounded to one decimal place. One half the base is b= 43*cos(39.4)= 33.2 feet.

The area of the gable is (27.3)(33.2)= 906.4 square feet, not 906.7

Thank you very much. Yes, I meant to say half the base of the gable not radius. Please, read my next thread in the Chat Room and reply.

skeeter said:
$A = \dfrac{1}{2} \cdot 43^2 \cdot \sin[180 - 2(39.4)] \approx 906.9 \, ft^2$

Simply put. Please, read my next thread in the Chat Room and reply.

1. How do I find the area of a gable?

To find the area of a gable, you will need to know the length and width of the gable. You can then use the formula A = (1/2)bh, where A is the area, b is the base (length), and h is the height (width).

2. What is the base and height of a gable?

The base of a gable is the length of the bottom edge, while the height is the distance from the base to the highest point of the gable.

3. Can I use the same formula for any type of gable?

Yes, the formula A = (1/2)bh can be used for any type of gable as long as you have the correct measurements for the base and height.

4. What units should I use for the measurements?

You can use any units for the measurements as long as they are consistent. For example, if you use feet for the base, you should also use feet for the height.

5. Is there a different formula for finding the area of a gable with a curved edge?

Yes, for a gable with a curved edge, you will need to use the formula A = (1/2)bh + (1/2)πr², where r is the radius of the curved edge. This formula takes into account the additional area of the curved edge.