Find Array Mapping Homework Solution

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a matrix with n rows and columns, where n is an odd number. The matrix has a specific pattern of 1's and 0's, with the diagonals remaining unchanged. The conversation then goes on to discuss a formula for correlating the coordinates of non-zero elements in the matrix with their position in a one-dimensional array. The conversation also discusses finding a formula for the number of non-zero elements in the matrix. Various strategies and formulas are suggested and discussed, with the final solution involving a summation up to (n+1)/2 and mapping the values of i and j to the positions in the one-dimensional array.
atrus_ovis

Homework Statement

I don't know if this has ties to linear algebra, so sorry in advance if I'm posting in a wrong section.

We have an n*n matrix A, n is an odd number, and "the matrix's sides are 0" meaning:
we'll call non-zero elements as 1's for now.1st line 1111...1111
2nd line 0111...1110
3rd line 0011...1100
n-2 00111..11100
(n-1) 01111...1110
n 1111...1111
the diagonals are intact.

For example for n=3, this would be the matrix

for n=5

etc

Now, the problem states that all non-zero data are stored in a 1-D array row by row, B[N-1], where N-1 the total number of nonzero elements(array index starts at 0).
We are asked to a)find a formula to correlate a non-zero element's coordinates in A with its position (array index) in array B.
For example for n=3, for the matrix A:

abc
0d0
efg

B would be b=[a,b,c,d,e,f,g], each non-zero elemet's position in B 0,1...6 respectively, and each nonzero element's coordinates {0,0}{0,1}{0,2}{1,1}{2,0}{2,1}{2,2} respectively.

and b) find a formula for the number of non-zero elements in A.

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

I found b), as
[Sum {from 1 to (n div 2)} 4*n ] + n , where div is integer division

as for a), i am trying to find a relation between i,j values, and their position in B, by trial and error, with only error so far.Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think your formula for b is right. If n = 3, there are 7 nonzero elements. Your formula says there will be 12 + 3 = 15 such elements.

If n = 5, your formula gives 20 + 20 + 5 = 45, while there are in fact 17 nonzero elements.

Here's a formula that does work: n + (n - 2) + (n - 4) + ... + 3 + 1 + 3 + ... + (n - 4) + (n - 2) + n.

That's the same as 2[n + (n - 2) + (n - 4) + ... + 3] + 1. You might be able to rearrange that to a closed form summation.

Also, since n is odd, n + 1 is even, and the middle is at (n + 1)/2, which will always be an integer when n is odd.

The other part is harder, as you have found. To map the numbers in the one-d array to a pair of indexes in the two-d array, you have to figure out where you are in the one-d array. For example, for the 3 x 3 matrix, there are 7 nonzero elements, so your one-d array has 7 elements. You can think of them as being in three groups of size 3, 1, and 3, respectively. Everything in the first group comes from the first row (row 0) of the two-d array, and the number in the middle comes from the middle row of the two-d array, and the numbers in the last group come from the last row (row 2) of the two-d array. If you can figure out the mapping from element 0 through element (n + 1)/2 in the one-d array back to the two-d array, it should be pretty easy figuring out the mapping for the other half of the one-d array.

In my formula n is incrementing from 1 to n div 2 and only the 4*n part is summed. (sorry but i always make a mess when trying to write in LaTex)
it's [SUM(n=1 to n= ndiv2) {4*n} ] +n
for n=3 we have
(4*1 ) + 3 = 7
n=5
(4*1+4*2) + 5= 4+8+5=17

n=7
(4*1+4*2+4*3)+7=4+8+12+7=31.
etc

I had thought about the strategy you suggest, but i considered it too hard.
You made it clear though, I'll give it a shot .

You have 4n in your summation - it should be 4i.

Here's the summation in LaTeX:
[tex]\left(\sum_{i = 1}^{(n + 1)/2} 4i\right) + n[/tex]

atrus ovus said:
I had thought about the strategy you suggest, but i considered it too hard.
You made it clear though, I'll give it a shot .
That was the only way I could think of...

Yes,yes okay.

If you can figure out the mapping from element 0 through element (n + 1)/2 in the one-d array back to the two-d array, it should be pretty easy figuring out the mapping for the other half of the one-d array.
Ironically, i found out the summation up to (n+1)/2, but i can't find the rest.Heh.

1st row: i+j
2nd row: (n-1)*i +j
3rd row: (n-2)*i+j
4th row: (n-3)*i +j

up to the middle, where i=j, where it's the same pattern, up to (n-ndiv2+1)*i + j
tested it up to n=9,and it works
but for the bottom half rows, no pattern seems to work

edit:

last row: (ndiv2+1)*i + j
2nd to last (ndiv2)*(i+1)+j

Last edited:
The 2nd half is symmetric to the 1st half. Maybe start from the end and work back to the middle.

The matrix is, the values of B aren't.

No, the values of B are symmetric. Think about the 5x5 case. The B matrix has 17 entries: 5 for the first row, 3 for the second, 1 for the third, 3 for the fourth, and five for the fifth. Whichever of the groups a number is in corresponds to which row from the A matrix, and the position in the group corresponds to the column in that row.

I understand what you're saying - there is symmetry in B,corresponding to A's structure- but the whole issue here is to map the values of i,j to those values in B.
Which will work for any n.

It's just hard i guess.

1. How can I find a mapping solution for my array homework?

Finding a mapping solution for your array homework can be achieved by following these steps:1. Understand the problem: Make sure you have a clear understanding of what the problem is asking you to do.2. Identify the pattern: Look for any patterns or relationships between the elements in the array.3. Choose a mapping strategy: There are various mapping strategies such as using a loop or using built-in methods like map() or filter().4. Implement the solution: Write the code for your chosen mapping strategy.5. Test and debug: Test your code with different inputs and make any necessary corrections.6. Refine your solution: Look for ways to optimize your code for better performance.

2. What is array mapping and why is it important?

Array mapping is the process of transforming an array of elements into another array with the same number of elements, but with a different value or data type. It is important because it allows us to manipulate and transform data in arrays, making it easier to work with and solve problems.

3. Can I use any programming language to find a mapping solution for my array homework?

Yes, you can use any programming language to find a mapping solution for your array homework. The concept of array mapping is applicable to most programming languages, so you can choose the one you are most comfortable with.

4. What are some common errors when finding a mapping solution for an array?

Some common errors when finding a mapping solution for an array include:- Not understanding the problem correctly- Using the wrong mapping strategy- Not considering edge cases or unexpected inputs- Syntax errors in the code- Not testing and debugging the code properly

5. Can I use array mapping to modify the original array?

No, array mapping does not modify the original array. It creates a new array with the transformed data. If you want to modify the original array, you can use other array methods such as splice() or pop().