1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find Aut(Z) homework automorphisms

1. Oct 13, 2005 #1
    Find Aut(Z).

I want to find Aut(Z) so I listed the generators of Z which are 1, and -1. Then from the hint in the book it says once I know where the generators are mapped then I can get where every other element gets mapped. So I said the only choices for the automorphisms are defined by a(1) = 1 or a(1) = -1.
    How do I know that these are the only automorphisms? If I could say that an automorphism maps a generator to a generator that would help, but I dont really know that and cant prove it right now. Any thoughts?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2005 #2

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Automorphisms are homomorphisms, so if you know where an automorphism g sends a generator, you know where it sends everything (when the group has a single generator), since g(m) = g(m x 1) = m x g(1)*. Suppose g sends 1 to something other than 1 or -1. Well something must be sent to 1, since g is surjective. Suppose g(m) = 1. Then m x g(1) = 1, g(1) = 1/m, but 1/m is not even in Z unless m = 1 or m = -1. Check that the automorphisms you've defined are indeed automorphisms. In general, the mapping that sends x to its inverse is not an automorphism, but is in this case. See if you can figure out, in general, what conditions on the group must hold in order for such a mapping to be an automorphism.

* Actually, this looks a little confusing. Although when we speak of the group Z, we adopt additive notation (that is, we denote the group operation on x and y as x+y, whereas in a general group we would denote it as simply xy, i.e. in multiplicative notation). If we agree to use multiplicative notation when speaking of Z, then adding 1 to itself m times would be denoted as 1m, and adding x to y would be denoted xy. If we also agree to write elements of Z in bold, then what I wrote would look like this:

g(m) = g(1m) = g(1)m

In additive notation, it would look like:

g(m) = g(m x 1) or g(m1) = m x g(1) or mg(1)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?