What is the Average Flow Rate in a Room with Circular Ducts?

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the average flow rate of air in a room with dimensions 3.5m by 4.5m by 6.0m, where the air is exchanged every 12 minutes through circular ducts with a diameter of 0.30m. The solution involves finding the volume of the room and converting it to meters cubed per second.
jerryez

Homework Statement

A room measures 3.5m by 4.5m by 6.0m. If the heating and air conditioning ducts to and from the room are circular with diameter of 0.30m and all the air in the room is to be exchanged every 12 min, (a) what is the average flow rate ?

Homework Equations

A1*V1=A2*V2

The Attempt at a Solution

I can find the area of the conditioning duct. I am not sure how to find the velocity of the air or the area of the room. Is it saying the room is a traingle shape? HELP

Physics news on Phys.org
It is simpler than that. The rate IS the volume of the whole room every 12 minutes.

Do you know how to calculate the volume?
Width times length times height.

Thankyou so much montoyas7940!:smile: I figured it out thanks to your help. I am so happy! I found the volume of the room by what you said and then I just converted it to meters cubed per second because it was meters cubed per 12minutes.

1. What is the formula for calculating average flow rate?

The formula for calculating average flow rate is: average flow rate = change in volume / change in time

2. How is average flow rate different from instantaneous flow rate?

Average flow rate is calculated by taking the change in volume over a period of time, while instantaneous flow rate is the flow rate at a particular moment in time.

3. Can average flow rate be negative?

Yes, average flow rate can be negative if there is a decrease in volume over time. For example, if water is being drained from a container, the average flow rate would be negative.

4. What are the units for average flow rate?

The units for average flow rate can vary depending on the type of flow being measured. For liquids, it is typically measured in liters per second (L/s) or cubic meters per second (m3/s), while for gases it is measured in standard cubic feet per minute (SCFM) or cubic meters per hour (m3/hr).

5. How can average flow rate be measured in a laboratory setting?

In a laboratory setting, average flow rate can be measured using a flow meter, which measures the velocity of a fluid passing through a specific area. The flow meter then calculates the volume of fluid passing through in a given period of time, allowing for the calculation of average flow rate.