1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find average flow rate

1. Nov 7, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A room measures 3.5m by 4.5m by 6.0m. If the heating and air conditioning ducts to and from the room are circular with diameter of 0.30m and all the air in the room is to be exchanged every 12 min, (a) what is the average flow rate ?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I can find the area of the conditioning duct. Im not sure how to find the velocity of the air or the area of the room. Is it saying the room is a traingle shape? HELP
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2008 #2
    It is simpler than that. The rate IS the volume of the whole room every 12 minutes.
  4. Nov 7, 2008 #3
    Do you know how to calculate the volume?
    Width times length times height.
  5. Nov 7, 2008 #4
    Thankyou so much montoyas7940!!!!:smile: I figured it out thanks to your help. I am so happy! I found the volume of the room by what you said and then I just converted it to meters cubed per second because it was meters cubed per 12minutes.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?