Find B Field of Helmholtz Coils

In summary: So you would use z=-\frac{s}{2} for the bottom loop and z=\frac{s}{2} for the top loop? Exactly.Thanks!
xxbigelxx

Homework Statement

We have 2 circular loops, each of radius R with current I in same direction. This is called a Helmholtz coil. The loop axes are along the z axis and the centers are at z=+/-s/2.

Find the magnetic field along the z axis between the 2 loops.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having a little trouble starting this because every problem I could find that was similar would always have the distance between the coils equal to the diameter of the coils. It was throwing me off. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
xxbigelxx said:

Homework Statement

We have 2 circular loops, each of radius R with current I in same direction. This is called a Helmholtz coil. The loop axes are along the z axis and the centers are at z=+/-s/2.

Find the magnetic field along the z axis between the 2 loops.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having a little trouble starting this because every problem I could find that was similar would always have the distance between the coils equal to the diameter of the coils. It was throwing me off. Thanks.

You basically have two circular current loops and are asked to find the magnetic field of the axis between them...surely you've calculated the magnetic field along the axis of a single circular current loop before? It is a very common example.

Oh ok that's what I was wondering. I found this example in the book and thought about closely following it. Would it be the same value, but have a factor of two out front since there are now 2 coils?

http://i52.tinypic.com/309sxhi.jpg

Hmm or would that not work since the 'z' values are different depending on the coil you are talking about at the time.

every problem I could find that was similar would always have the distance between the coils equal to the diameter of the coils.[/QUOTE said:
Do you mean the distance between the coils is equal to the radius of the coils? You say diameter, and they told me "radius".

Oh yes, sorry.

xxbigelxx said:
Oh yes, sorry.

No problem, my friend. I'd just hate for you to be off by a factor of 2, or 1/2, or...whatever kind of frustration would await : )

So would I be correct in following that similar example I posted, but adding a factor of 2 out front?

xxbigelxx said:
Hmm or would that not work since the 'z' values are different depending on the coil you are talking about at the time.

Exactly, the two loops are at [itex]z=\pm \frac{s}{2}[/itex], not the origin... if you are at [itex]z=d[/itex] (and x=y=0 ), how far are you from the bottom coil? how far are you from the top coil? Can you see what you should use instead of 'z' in the formula for each coil?

Yeah I think I got it now. Thanks.

1. How do Helmholtz coils create a magnetic field?

Helmholtz coils are a pair of circular coils placed parallel to each other, with equal distances from each other and equal current passing through them in the same direction. This configuration produces a uniform and constant magnetic field in the space between the coils.

2. What is the equation for calculating the magnetic field of Helmholtz coils?

The equation for calculating the magnetic field of Helmholtz coils is B = μ₀NI/(2R), where B is the magnetic field strength, μ₀ is the permeability of free space, N is the number of turns in each coil, I is the current passing through the coils, and R is the radius of the coils.

3. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field created by Helmholtz coils?

The strength of the magnetic field created by Helmholtz coils is affected by the current passing through the coils, the number of turns in each coil, and the distance between the coils. Increasing any of these factors will result in a stronger magnetic field.

4. Can Helmholtz coils be used to create a uniform magnetic field?

Yes, Helmholtz coils are specifically designed to create a uniform magnetic field in the space between the coils. This uniform field is useful for experiments and applications that require a constant and predictable magnetic field.

5. What are the practical applications of Helmholtz coils?

Helmholtz coils have various practical applications in physics, engineering, and medicine. They are commonly used in experiments to study the effects of magnetic fields on charged particles, in magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines, and in particle accelerators.