1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find beta angle

1. Jul 15, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The position of the L-shaped rod shown is controlled by a cable attached at point B. Determine the angle, β, in terms of θ.

3. The attempt at a solution

From the FBD attached, I was able to get:

β = tan-1([itex]\frac{0.24sinθ - EF}{0.24cosθ+0.32}[/itex])

How can I determine what EF is? Is it possible to get an actual number? FG = 0.160

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Is the beta angle supposed to be the angle the cable BE makes to the vertical?

Then I think there is something not quite right about your diagram ...
    F is vertically above the pivot of the beam and level with the top of the pulley?
    It is 160mm horizontally from F to the center of the pulley.

It looks like you'll need the diameter of the pulley.

4. Jul 18, 2013 #3

nvn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

aaronfue: FG is not 160 mm. FG is simply AB*sin(theta), whereas EF = 160 mm.

Here are my current thoughts. Theta can be any value; it is given. Given theta, then I think beta can be any value, depending on the pulley radius. You are given the pulley axle horizontal location, which is EF = 160 mm.

But are you given the pulley radius? If not, I am currently thinking beta will also be a function of pulley radius, r.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted