1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find convolution sum of continuous signal [Signals&Systems]

1. Sep 20, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    x(t) = u(t) - 2*u(t-2) + u(t-5)
    h(t) = exp(2*t) * u(1-t)

2. Relevant equations
    Need to find convolution integrals for all possible intervals

3. The attempt at a solution
    Ok, the first thing to do is to rewrite these equations in terms of [tex]\tau[/tex]. Now i have:
    x([tex]\tau[/tex]) = u([tex]\tau[/tex]) - 2*u([tex]\tau[/tex]-2) + u([tex]\tau[/tex]-5)
    h([tex]\tau[/tex]) = exp(2*[tex]\tau[/tex]) * u(1-[tex]\tau[/tex])

Now, i must derive h(t-[tex]\tau[/tex]), and i have:

h([tex]\tau[/tex]) = exp(2*(t-[tex]\tau[/tex])) * u(t + [tex]\tau[/tex] + 1)

Ok, now i am stuck, how to derive the needed intervals? And form the appropriate integral for each interval without graphing?

The answer says, that the intervals are: t <=1, 1 <= t <= 3, 3 <= t <= 6, 6 <= t

I have no clear idea now how did they derive these intervals WITHOUT GRAPHING!

What else i did is i rewrote x([tex]\tau[/tex]) and h(t-[tex]\tau[/tex]) in general term of convolution sum, and got:

y(t) = Integral[-Inf, Inf] ( (u([tex]\tau[/tex]) - 2*u([tex]\tau[/tex]-2) + u([tex]\tau[/tex]-5)) * exp(2*[tex]\tau[/tex]) * u(1-[tex]\tau[/tex]) ) d[tex]\tau[/tex]

Now, solving inequalilties inside above expression gives:
    [tex]\tau[/tex] >= 0, [tex]\tau[/tex] >=2, [tex]\tau[/tex] >= 5, [tex]\tau[/tex] <= t, [tex]\tau[/tex] <= t+1

And now im kind of stuck... how to derive now the correct integrals for bolded intervals above?

what is the clear logic to do this, and similar problems? I have several other problems too like this, and i think once i get the robust logic here, i will be able to solve others too.

thanks!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted