Calculating Electric Charge: Find the Current in a Wire

In summary, the conversation discusses two questions about the current and electric charge passing through a wire between t = 0 seconds and t = 4 × 10^-4 seconds. The first question incorrectly asks for the current, which is a rate, but it is assumed that they mean electric charge. The second question correctly asks for the electric charge, but it is not constant, so calculus is needed to find the integral of the current.
Colts

Homework Statement

(a) The current through a wire is a steady 2.5 amps. How much current passes through it between t = 0 seconds and t = 4 × 10^-4 seconds?

For this one I thought it would be 2.5( 4 × 10^-4), but it says how much current and I thought current was a rate. So what does the question mean?

(b) The current through a wire is given by I(t) = I0e -at, where I0 = 2.5 amps and a = 6 × 103 s-1. How much electric charge passes through the wire between t = 0 seconds and t = 4 × 10-4 seconds?

This is the same way. Do I just plug t in?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Colts said:

Homework Statement

(a) The current through a wire is a steady 2.5 amps. How much current passes through it between t = 0 seconds and t = 4 × 10^-4 seconds?

For this one I thought it would be 2.5( 4 × 10^-4), but it says how much current and I thought current was a rate. So what does the question mean?

You're quite right. It should have asked for the charge, not the current. The current is 2.5A, no matter when.

(b) The current through a wire is given by I(t) = I0e -at, where I0 = 2.5 amps and a = 6 × 103 s-1. How much electric charge passes through the wire between t = 0 seconds and t = 4 × 10-4 seconds?

[/quote]

No. Charge is the integral of current. You need to integrate the current to get the charge.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/QUOTE]

Colts said:

You are correct: Current is a rate. I would just treat it as a sloppily worded problem and assume they meant how much electric charge passes through it. (Just like in the second question.)

The current isn't constant, so you need to be careful. Hint: Use a bit of calculus.

1. How do you calculate the current in a wire?

The current in a wire can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the resistance (R). So the formula is I = V/R. To find the current in a wire, you will need to know the voltage applied to the wire and the resistance of the wire.

2. What factors affect the current in a wire?

The current in a wire is affected by the voltage applied and the resistance of the wire. Other factors that can impact the current include the length and thickness of the wire, as well as the material it is made of.

3. How does the length of the wire affect the current?

The longer the wire, the higher the resistance, which means the current will be lower. This is because the longer the wire, the more collisions there will be between the electrons and the atoms in the wire, which increases the resistance and decreases the current.

4. How does the thickness of the wire affect the current?

The thicker the wire, the lower the resistance, which means the current will be higher. This is because a thicker wire has more space for electrons to flow through, resulting in less collisions between the electrons and atoms and therefore lower resistance and higher current.

5. Why is it important to find the current in a wire?

Knowing the current in a wire is important for various reasons. It helps us understand how much electricity is flowing through a circuit and whether the wire can handle that amount of current without overheating. It is also essential for designing and troubleshooting electrical circuits, and for ensuring the safety of the circuit and its components.