1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find Diameter for Mass Flow, using gravity

1. Apr 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Height of water 19.9 inches, 1GPM flow rate min
    Gravity,

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Here is the run down first, I'm trying to find a min mass flow rate for my project which needs to be 1 GPM, and max 4 GPM. Now water is going out of a 5 gallon jug, that has the top cut off, and the water is flowing into a PVC pipe. I need to find the velocity of water at atm pressure, and then the diameter of the circle which the water will funnel through. I did some work I just need help making sure I did it right, basically a check over. think of it as a Deer Park 5 gallon bottle, like the ones for water dispenser, but the top cut off, and it flowing out the nozzle.

Man how do I use the Latex thing?

So, I know V=Sqrt(2∗19.5inches∗387.6inches/s^2)
    V=122.95 inches/sec, 10.245 ft/s = 614.7 ft/min

Now the simple equation of Q=VA

1 GPM->.13ft^3/min = 614.7ft/min * A
    .03024 in^2 = A(min)
    sqrt(.03024/∏)= r(min) = .09811 inches

We would have to reduce our inner diameter to .19622 inches.
    Now is this right? I can't believe that? I was initial thinking it would be a DE since our mass flow would be varying, depending the height of the water, gravity would be pushing it through the main system.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?