Distance Lifted by Car Suspensions in Earthquake

In summary, a car with 4 people of uniform mass of 72.4kg each and a car mass of 1130kg experiences vertical oscillations during an earthquake with a frequency of 1.8 Hz. The maximum amplitude of vibration is observed when the car is stationary. After the earthquake, the 4 people quickly leave the car and the undamaged suspensions lift the car body to a distance of -0.028 times the maximum amplitude. This can be calculated using the equations for forced oscillation and simple harmonic oscillation.
lany

Homework Statement

4people with uniform mass= 72.4kg
car mass= 1130kg
earthquake strikes,car is stationary.
vertical oscillations make car bonuce on suspensions.
when frequency= 1.8 Hz car exhibits maximum Amplitude of vibration.
Earthquake over,4 people leave the car quickly,what distance does the cars undamaged suspensions lift the car body as the people get out?

Homework Equations

sorry I am new to this i don't understand what this section wants

The Attempt at a Solution

i took this as a forced oscillation and as a simple harmonic oscillation.
total mass = 1419.6 kg
Velcoity = 3.6*pi*Amax (Amax=max amplitude)
this comes from Vel=omega*Amax
omega=2*pi*Frequency

Acceleration = 2Amax/period
i don't know i thought this one up...
as max displacement= Amax + A max
and time taken => period = 1/frequency...

Acc= 3.6 Amax

x=displacement of car body by suspension...

x=Asin(omega*t)
x'=A*omega*sin(omega*t)
x''= - omega^2 *(x)

3,6Amax = -(2*pi*1.8)^2 *x

=> x= - 0.028*Amax

my head is exploding someone please give me some hint...i have an awful feeling that this could be a lot easier...

fiendishly difficult differential equations are suspected but I'm not sure how to relate everything...its kinda late here in Ireland!please have some pity...

Physics news on Phys.org

I just thought that since they left the car quickly then t must be tending towards zero...?
right track?

First of all, great job on attempting to solve this problem! It is definitely a challenging one.

To start off, you are correct in assuming that this situation can be modeled as a forced harmonic oscillation. This means that the car's suspension is being forced to oscillate at a certain frequency by the earthquake.

Next, we need to find the amplitude of the car's oscillation. This can be done by using the given information about the car's mass and the frequency of oscillation. We can use the equation A = F/mω^2, where A is the amplitude, F is the force applied (in this case, the force of the earthquake), m is the mass of the car, and ω is the angular frequency (2πf).

Plugging in the given values, we get A = 1130*9.8/(72.4*2π*1.8)^2 = 0.0269 m. This is the maximum displacement of the car's suspension during the earthquake.

Now, when the four people leave the car, the car's mass decreases from 1419.6 kg to 1130 kg. This means that the amplitude of oscillation also decreases, since it is directly proportional to the mass. The new amplitude can be calculated using the same equation as before, but with the new mass of the car.

A' = 1130*9.8/(72.4*2π*1.8)^2 = 0.0215 m

Finally, we can use the equation x = A*sin(ωt) to find the distance lifted by the car's suspension as the people leave the car. We can assume that the people leave the car at time t = 0, so we have:

x = 0.0215*sin(2π*1.8*0) = 0 meters

This means that the car's suspension does not lift the car at all as the people leave, since the amplitude of oscillation is now smaller than the initial displacement of the car's suspension. This makes sense, since the people leaving the car would reduce the mass and therefore the amplitude of oscillation.

I hope this helps! Keep up the good work.

1. How do car suspensions affect the distance lifted during an earthquake?

Car suspensions play a crucial role in minimizing the distance lifted during an earthquake. They are designed to absorb shock and reduce the impact of the earthquake on the vehicle. Without a proper suspension system, the car would be lifted much higher and could potentially cause damage or result in a loss of control.

2. What factors influence the distance lifted by car suspensions in an earthquake?

The distance lifted by car suspensions in an earthquake can be influenced by various factors such as the intensity and duration of the earthquake, the type and condition of the suspension system, and the weight and distribution of the load in the car.

3. Can car suspensions prevent the car from being lifted during an earthquake?

No, car suspensions cannot entirely prevent the car from being lifted during an earthquake. They are designed to reduce the impact and minimize the distance lifted, but in a severe earthquake, the force and magnitude may still cause the car to be lifted.

4. How can car suspensions be improved to reduce the distance lifted during an earthquake?

Car suspensions can be improved by using high-quality materials, regular maintenance and inspection, and making adjustments to the suspension system based on the terrain and potential earthquake risks. Additionally, advanced suspension technologies such as active suspension systems can also help reduce the distance lifted during an earthquake.

5. Is it safe to drive during an earthquake with a car suspension system?

It is generally not recommended to drive during an earthquake, as it can be dangerous and unpredictable. However, having a properly functioning suspension system can help improve the safety of driving during an earthquake by reducing the distance lifted and minimizing the impact on the vehicle.