Find Domain of F(x): Homework Statement

• Thread starter theJorge551
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Domain
In summary: That is the correct answer.In summary, the domain of F(x) is [-2,2] due to the limits on t being between 0 and 4 in the integral expression. This ensures that the function is defined for all values of x within this interval.
theJorge551

Homework Statement

[tex]F(x) \ = \ \int\limits_{1}^{x^2}{\frac{10}{2+t^3}} \ dt[/tex]

Where [tex]{0}\leq{t}\leq{4}[/tex].

Find the domain of F.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not quite sure how to tackle this problem. It doesn't seem as though the domain of t has much at all to do with the domain of F(x), so could anyone steer me in the correct direction on how to approach this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why is there a condition 0 ≤ t ≤ 4? The variable t is only used for the integration and has no bounds.

I believe the limits on t define the domain of the function being integrated. That is, the integral is not defined if the limits of the integral venture outside the domain of the internal function.

Ahh, thank you for the clarafication, slider. I had a suspicion that the domain of x is the same as the domain of t.

The acceptable values for t are not the same as the domain of F (ie, the acceptable values for x). I can't tell from the last comment whether you were saying that you thought that or not.

Because F(x) is independent of the values of t, I think that the domain of F is the set of real numbers. The value of t being constricted to the area between 0 and 4 should have nothing to do with the constriction of x as it varies, correct?

Well, suppose you want to evaluate F(3). Then you need
[tex] \intop_1^9 \frac{10}{2+t^3} dt [/tex]

But t is supposed to be between 0 and 4, right? So this expression is undefined.

All right, so on the upper end of x, the limit is 2 (2^2 = 4), and it can go down to -2 before becoming undefined yet again...so the domain of F would be [-2,2].

I agree.

1. What is the purpose of finding the domain of a function?

The domain of a function is the set of all possible input values for which the function is defined. It is important to find the domain in order to determine the range of the function and to ensure that the function is valid for all possible input values.

2. How do you determine the domain of a function?

To determine the domain of a function, you must look at the restrictions on the input values. These restrictions can be in the form of excluded values, such as division by zero or taking the square root of a negative number. You must also consider any restrictions that may be indicated in the problem or given by the context of the function.

3. Can the domain of a function be negative?

The domain of a function can include negative values, as long as those values do not violate any restrictions on the function. For example, a function can have a domain of all real numbers except for 0, which means that negative values would be included in the domain.

4. Is the domain of a function always a continuous interval?

No, the domain of a function can be a continuous interval, a discrete set of values, or a combination of both. It depends on the specific function and its restrictions on input values.

5. How do you represent the domain of a function mathematically?

The domain of a function can be represented mathematically using set notation. For example, if a function is defined for all real numbers except 0, the domain can be written as:

Domain = {x ∈ ℝ | x ≠ 0}

This means that the domain is the set of all real numbers (x ∈ ℝ) where x is not equal to 0 (x ≠ 0).