1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find dy/dx

1. Jun 27, 2007 #1
    assistance asap is needed !!

Using implicit differentiation, find dy/dx given that:
    cos(xy^2) - (x^3+y) / (x+1) = sec(x)sin(y)

i am horrid at these, i came up with a few lines, please check them

-sin(xy^2)[(y)^2+(2y)(dy/dx)(x)] - [ {(3x^2)(x+1)-(x^3+y)} / (x+1)^2] = sec(x)tan(x)sin(y) + cos(y)sin(y)(dy/dx)

after this line i have no idea what else i can do with this, it looks jsut looks like a huge mess to me.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2007 #2
    You seem to have left out the y (in the numerator) while using the quotient rule, and you need a sec(x) (not sin(y) - second term RHS).

Try to bring the dy/dx s to one side and see if the rest of the expressions simplify, somehow.

4. Jun 27, 2007 #3
    so it would look this so:

-sin(xy^2)[(y)^2+(2y)(dy/dx)(x)] - [ {(3x^2)(x+1)(dy/dx)-(x^3+y)} / (x+1)^2] = sec(x)tan(x)sin(y) + cos(y)sec(y)(dy/dx)

so many dy/dx 's should i still try and bring them all on one side?

5. Jun 27, 2007 #4
    You missed the dy/dx again...

{(3x^2 + dy/dx)(x+1) - (x^3+y)} / (x+1)^2

Yes, if the question requires it. I think many terms will cancel if you expand the expression on both sides.

6. Jun 27, 2007 #5
    ok i get that now, but when i try to isolate the dy/dx the big bracket is too hard to get the (dy/dx) out of..

this is what i got when i expanded it.

[{(3x^3)+(3x^2)+(x)(dy/dx)+(dy/dx)-(x^3)-(y)} / (x+1)^2 ]

then only 2 terms in then can be groups the 3x^3 - x^3 and i dont know where to do for the rest of it..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?