1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find eccentricity of orbiting bodies given their position and velocity components

1. Jul 3, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the eccentricity of an orbit given the masses, cartesian position components, and cartesian velocity components for particles 1 and 2. The case is reduced to the xy plane.

2. Relevant equations
    I am attempting this problem using reduced mass from the center of mass frame.
    ε = [itex]\sqrt{1 + \frac{2 E L^2}{\mu k^2}}[/itex]
    where
    E = energy
    L = [itex]\mu r^2 \dot{\theta}[/itex]
    μ = [itex]\frac{m1m2}{m1+m2}[/itex]
    k = Gm1m2
    r = distance between the two particles

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have two general questions. 1) Is the method below correct? If no, I would appreciate guidance to correct the method. 2) If there a better method?

If I knew the velocity, energy, and angular momentum of the reduced mass "particle", I could input the information into the relevant equation.

Is the velocity v of the reduced mass "particle" the difference between the velocities of particles 1 and 2? Similarly, is the position r of the "particle the difference between the positions of particles 1 and 2?

Given the velocity, would the energy of the "particle" be [itex] E = \frac{1}{2}μv^2- \frac{Gm1m2}{r} [/itex] ?

Would the angular momentum L of the "particle" be μ* r x v? Where I would take the cross product of the "particle's" position and velocity components then find the square L^2?

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2013 #2
    Hello!
    One of my assignments for a discipline named planetary systems was to write a program and a paper about the orbit of Eris.
    One of the tasks was to find the orbit's characteristics with only one arbitrary point of position and velocity.

Take a look ;)

My best regards, Iris.

Attached Files:

• ERIS.PDF
      ERIS.PDF
      File size:
      233.4 KB
      Views:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted