Find Eigen Values: Solve Char. Equation |A-#I| = 0 of Degree 3

• Thread starter zeroxff0000ff
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Eigen values
In summary, the conversation discusses techniques for finding roots of a characteristic equation, including using numerical methods, Cardano's cubic formula, the factor theorem, and the remainder theorem. The advantage of using the factor theorem is that it can quickly lead to finding easy roots, but the disadvantage is that it only works if the polynomial has an integer root. It is also noted that it is unusual for someone to be familiar with eigenvalues but not know how to solve polynomial equations by factoring.
zeroxff0000ff
hello everybody,

Consider '#' as lamda.
How to find roots(eigen values) of characteristic equation |A-#I| = 0.
I know how to find it it using numerical methods.
But can anyone please show me how to procced for degree 3 equations.

thanks and regards.

Physics news on Phys.org
thanks HallsofIvy.

just now i found some methods like factor and remainder theorem from the following link :
http://www.themathpage.com/aprecalc/factor-theorem.htm

can you please tell me advantage and disadvantage of using factor and reminder theorem.

I'm not sure what the remainder theorem is, but the factor theorem is usually what's used to solve cubics... if there's an easy root (like 1, 2, 0, -1) you can reduce the degree of your equation to a quadratic fairly easily, and from there solve for the remaining roots.

You can use the integer root theorem (on the website you posted) to figure out which integers are worth guessing. The advantage is that most problems will have a root that you can find in this way. The disadvantage is that if the polynomial doesn't have an integer root, you can't find any roots using this method. But it doesn't take a lot of time to try, so usually this is the best way to start.

the remainder theorem is the theorem from high school algebra that says the remainder of f(x) after dividing it by x-a, is f(a).

mathwonk said:
the remainder theorem is the theorem from high school algebra that says the remainder of f(x) after dividing it by x-a, is f(a).
And in particular, if f(a)= 0, the remainder is 0 so x-a is a factor of f(x).

It seems very strange to me that a person would be working with eigenvalues while not knowing how to solve polynomial equations by factoring!

What is the purpose of finding eigenvalues?

The purpose of finding eigenvalues is to understand the behavior and properties of a linear transformation or matrix. Eigenvalues help us determine important characteristics such as the stability and steady state behavior of a system.

What is the characteristic equation and how is it related to eigenvalues?

The characteristic equation is a polynomial equation obtained by setting the determinant of the matrix A-#I equal to zero. The roots of this equation are the eigenvalues of the matrix A. In other words, the eigenvalues are the solutions to the characteristic equation.

Why is solving the characteristic equation important?

Solving the characteristic equation is important because it allows us to find the eigenvalues of a matrix, which are necessary for understanding the behavior of a system. Additionally, the characteristic equation helps us determine if a matrix is invertible or not, as well as its diagonalizability.

What is the degree of a characteristic equation?

The degree of a characteristic equation is the highest power of the variable in the equation. In the case of finding eigenvalues of a matrix A, the degree of the characteristic equation is equal to the size of the matrix (i.e. for a 3x3 matrix, the degree of the characteristic equation will be 3).

How do I solve the characteristic equation for eigenvalues of a degree 3 matrix?

To solve the characteristic equation for eigenvalues of a degree 3 matrix, we first set up the characteristic equation by calculating the determinant of A-#I (where # represents the variable for the eigenvalue). Then, we solve the resulting cubic equation using methods such as factoring, synthetic division, or using the cubic formula. Finally, the solutions to the cubic equation will be the eigenvalues of the degree 3 matrix.