What is the electric potential at the center of a charged half-circular washer?

In summary: If you want to integrate a function over the entire area A, you need to integrate over the boundary of A as well.
annastewert

Homework Statement

A plastic circular washer is cut in half and has a charge Q spread uniformly over it. If the electrical potential at infinity is taken to be zero, what is the electric potential at the point P, the center of the old washer? The inner radius of the washer is a, the outer radius is b.
*see attached picture*

Homework Equations

I know that you can use ∫∫E⋅dA=Q/ε and solve for E. Then V(r)=∫E(r)dr

The Attempt at a Solution

∫∫E⋅dA=Q/ε
E∫∫dA=Q/ε
∫∫dA=πb^2-πa^2
E(πb^2-πa^2)=Q/ε
E=Q/ε(πb^2-πa^2)

Then I integrated this, but the answer is V=Q/2πε(b+a) which is not what I am getting. Where am I going wrong?

Attachments

• IMG_5052.JPG
    IMG_5052.JPG
    21.6 KB · Views: 580
Physics news on Phys.org
Your algebra is wrong for two reasons. First, the field at P due to element dA depends on the position of the element dA in relation to P. You took it outside the integral as though it is constant. Secondly, E is a vector, not a scalar. An integral is a sum, and vectors add differently to the way scalars add. The field at P due to different elements will point in different directions, so when you add them there will be cancellation.

The easiest way to solve this problem is to start with potentials, not fields. Potentials also add. What is the potential at P due to an element dA at location (r,θ) in polar coordinates centred on P? What is dA equal to in terms of dr and dθ?

I'm confused on how to do this just with potentials, do you use the equation V=Q/(4πεr) and then integrate from a to b? but you would also need to integrate from 0-π wouldn't you? How would you do this?

annastewert said:
I'm confused on how to do this just with potentials, do you use the equation V=Q/(4πεr) and then integrate from a to b? but you would also need to integrate from 0-π wouldn't you? How would you do this?
Do you know how to integrate over an area in polar coordinates?

I don't think so no.

annastewert said:
I don't think so no.
Given a function f(r,θ), the integral over an area A is ∫Af r dr dθ.

What is electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the electric potential energy per unit charge at a given point in an electric field. It is a scalar quantity and is measured in volts (V).

How is electric potential calculated?

Electric potential is calculated by dividing the electric potential energy by the charge at a given point. The formula for electric potential is V = U/Q, where V is the potential, U is the potential energy, and Q is the charge.

What is the unit of electric potential?

The unit of electric potential is volts (V). This is equivalent to joules per coulomb (J/C), which represents the amount of energy per unit charge at a given point in an electric field.

What is the difference between electric potential and electric potential energy?

Electric potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge at a given point in an electric field. Electric potential energy, on the other hand, is the energy that a charged particle has due to its position in an electric field. In other words, electric potential is a property of the electric field itself, while electric potential energy is a property of the charged particle within the field.

How is electric potential related to electric field?

Electric potential is related to electric field through the formula V = Ed, where V is the potential, E is the electric field, and d is the distance between the point and the reference point where the potential is zero. This means that the electric field is the gradient of the electric potential, and the direction of the electric field is perpendicular to the equipotential surfaces.