Find Equation for Parabola-Help, Please?

• Thread starter dmbeluke
  • Start date
In summary, the three given lines cross at a point, with that point being the y-intercept, one of the x-intercepts, and the vertex of a parabola. To find the equation for the parabola, we need to find the x-intercept and use it to solve for the other missing value. The equation will then be in the form of y = ax^2 + bx + c, where a is the coefficient of the squared term, b is the coefficient of the linear term, and c is the constant term. Remember to only post homework problems once and in the designated homework section.
dmbeluke
Each pair of the following three lines cross at a point. Those points are the y-intercept, one of the x-intercepts, and the vertex of a parabola. Can you please explain to me how to find an equation for the parabola? And the other x- intercept?

y+8x=32
y+5x=32
y+3x=12

I have been trying everything I can think of. I think they cross at 0. And I know the equation has to be squared, but I'm so lost on this one, I don't know what else to do. Any advice would be appriciated. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please post your homework problems just once, and in the homework secton. :tongue2:

To find the equation of a parabola, we need to know the coordinates of its vertex and one other point on the parabola. In this case, we have the coordinates of the y-intercept and one of the x-intercepts. The vertex is the point where the parabola reaches its highest or lowest point, and it can be found by finding the x-coordinate of the point where the two lines intersect. In this case, we can solve for x in the first two equations to find that the x-coordinate of the vertex is 4. We can then substitute this value into any of the equations to find the y-coordinate of the vertex, which is 0.

Now that we have the coordinates of the vertex, we can use the general form of a parabola equation, y = ax^2 + bx + c, to solve for the values of a, b, and c. We can substitute the coordinates of the vertex (4,0) into the equation to get 0 = a(4)^2 + b(4) + c. Simplifying this equation, we get 16a + 4b + c = 0.

Next, we can use the third equation to find the x-coordinate of the other intercept. We can solve for x in the third equation to get x = 4. This means that the other x-intercept is also 4, and we can substitute this value into the equation to find the y-coordinate of the intercept, which is 12.

Now we have two points on the parabola, the vertex (4,0) and the other intercept (4,12). We can substitute these coordinates into the general form of the parabola equation to get two equations: 0 = 16a + 4b + c and 12 = 16a + 4b + c. We can then solve these equations simultaneously to find the values of a, b, and c.

Once we have the values of a, b, and c, we can substitute them back into the general form of the equation, y = ax^2 + bx + c, to get the equation of the parabola. In this case, the equation is y = -3x^2 + 8x + 32.

I hope this explanation helps you understand how to find the equation for a parabola. Remember to always find the coordinates of the vertex and one other point

1. What is the general form of a parabola equation?

The general form of a parabola equation is y = ax^2 + bx + c, where a, b, and c are constants.

2. How do I find the vertex of a parabola?

The vertex of a parabola is the point where the parabola reaches its maximum or minimum value. To find the vertex, you can use the formula x = -b/2a, where a and b are the coefficients of the x^2 and x terms, respectively.

3. Can I find the equation of a parabola if I only know three points?

Yes, you can find the equation of a parabola if you know the coordinates of three points on the parabola. You can use the method of substitution to solve for the values of a, b, and c in the general form equation.

4. How do I determine if a parabola opens upwards or downwards?

If the coefficient of the x^2 term is positive, the parabola will open upwards. If the coefficient is negative, the parabola will open downwards.

5. Can I use the equation of a parabola to graph it?

Yes, you can use the equation of a parabola to graph it. You can plot the vertex and a few other points, and then connect them to create the parabola. Alternatively, you can use a graphing calculator to graph the parabola using the equation.