1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find Equation for the Parabola- Help, Please?

1. May 12, 2004 #1
    Each pair of the following three lines cross at a point. Those points are the y-intercept, one of the x-intercepts, and the vertex of a parabola. Can you please explain to me how to find an equation for the parabola? And the other x- intercept?

I have been trying everything I can think of. I think they cross at 0. And I know the equation has to be squared, but I'm so lost on this one, I don't know what else to do. Any advice would be appriciated. Thank you.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Step 1:
    Determine the 3 pairs of (x,y)-values that solves the 3 pairwise systems of linear equations.
    Let's call these:
    [tex] {r}_{1}=(x_{1},y_{1}),

Step 2.
    The general equation for a parabola when the y-coordinate is a function of the x-coordinate is:
    y=ax^{2}+bx+c[/tex], where a, b,c are constants.

You do know something of the parabola you're after, namely that the 3 pairs [tex] r_{1},r_{2},r_{3}[/tex] are on it.
    How can this information be used in order to determine a,b,c?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?