Finding the Equation of a Perpendicular Line Through a Given Point

• Thread starter andrey21
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Line
In summary, the equation of the straight line perpendicular to the plane 4x+3y+2z=1 and passing through the point (1,1,7) is r(t) = (1,1,7) + t (4,3,2). The point (5,7,15) is not on this line.
andrey21
Find the equation of the straight line which is perpendicular to the plane

4x+3y+2z=1

Which goes through the point (1,1,7)

Is the point (5,7,15) on this line?

By inspection we can see direction of the normal to the plane:

(4,3,2)

Therefore equation of straight line is:

r(t) = (1,1,7) + t (4,3,2)

Now I need to establish a value for t, however when I substitute in values for x,y,z I obtain:

t=1
t=2
t=4

Any help would be great thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
andrey21 said:
Find the equation of the straight line which is perpendicular to the plane

4x+3y+2z=1

Which goes through the point (1,1,7)

Is the point (5,7,15) on this line?

By inspection we can see direction of the normal to the plane:

(4,3,2)

Therefore equation of straight line is:

r(t) = (1,1,7) + t (4,3,2)

Now I need to establish a value for t, however when I substitute in values for x,y,z I obtain:

t=1
t=2
t=4

Any help would be great thank you
Solving the equation <5, 7, 15> = <1, 1, 7> + t<4, 3, 2> yields
5 = 1 + 4t
7 = 1 + 3t
15 = 7 + 2t

In the first equation, t = 1 is the solution. Since the value is not a solution of the other two equations, you should conclude that (5, 7, 15) is not a point on the line.

Thank you mark 44 :smile:

You're welcome!

What is the equation of a line?

The equation of a line is a mathematical representation of a straight line. It is written in the form y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the line and b is the y-intercept, or the point where the line crosses the y-axis.

How do you find the equation of a line?

To find the equation of a line, you need to know the slope and y-intercept. You can find the slope by using the formula m = (y2 - y1) / (x2 - x1), where (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) are two points on the line. Once you have the slope, you can plug it into the equation y = mx + b and solve for b using one of the points on the line.

Can you find the equation of a line with only one point?

No, you need at least two points to find the equation of a line. This is because the slope of a line is the ratio of the change in y-coordinates to the change in x-coordinates. With only one point, you cannot determine the slope.

What is the difference between a linear and a non-linear equation?

A linear equation is an equation that produces a straight line when graphed. It has a constant rate of change and can be written in the form y = mx + b. A non-linear equation, on the other hand, does not produce a straight line when graphed. It can have a varying rate of change and cannot be written in the form y = mx + b.

How do you graph an equation of a line?

To graph an equation of a line, you can use the slope-intercept form y = mx + b. Start by plotting the y-intercept, b, on the y-axis. Then, use the slope, m, to find a second point on the line. You can do this by moving up or down m units and then left or right 1 unit from the first point. Finally, connect the two points to create a straight line. Repeat this process if necessary to plot more points and extend the line.