Find exponential function f(x)=Ca^x

In summary, the conversation involved finding an exponential function with two given points and solving for the unknown variables. The approach was to use equations and isolate the variables, leading to the final function f(x)=5*(1/3)^x. The conversation also included another problem involving graphing two functions and finding their intersection points, which was solved by using the intersection feature or guessing values for x. The final answer for the intersection point was (11.17, 11.17).
linhthuy256
help me to solve this problem
find exponential function f(x)=Ca^x with the 2 given points (0,5)(2,5/9)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
linhthuy256 said:
please help me to solve this problem
find exponential function f(x)=Ca^x with the 2 given points (0,5)(2,5/9)
thankzzzzzzzzzz...
Alright, [itex]f(x)=Ca^x[/itex], f(0)=5, and f(2)=5/9. So you have two equations and two unkowns: a and C. You can write the first equation as:
[tex]5=Ca^0[/tex]
What is a number to the zero power? Answer that and you have C. Now the second equation is:
[tex]\frac{5}{9}=Ca^2[/tex]
Remember, you already found C from the last equation, so you just have to find a. Just isolate "a" and take the square root of both sides:
[tex]a=\sqrt{\frac{5}{9C}}[/tex]
Then just plug "a" and "C" back into the original equation and you're done.

Thanks a lot for ur help. Actually i did the problem 5 times already and i knew C=5 but i can not find a=? and My assignment is about to be due in half an hour. Again thanks for ur help

Have you found "a" now?

yep a=3radical1 rite?

You mean [itex]a=\frac{1}{3}[/itex] right?

yes and the function f(x)=5*1/3^x that's what i had got before but when i put down in the answer and it said "wrong", can u help me ??

That seems right. Try 5*(1/3)^x, with the parentheses, maybe.

linhthuy256 said:
yes and the function f(x)=5*1/3^x that's what i had got before but when i put down in the answer and it said "wrong", can u help me ??

beside i still have 1 more problem that is really need help will u able to help me please?

linhthuy256 said:
beside i still have 1 more problem that is really need help will u able to help me please?

yes i did every single posible way but it stills said "wrong" or the answer is not accepted.

linhthuy256 said:
Alright, what's the other problem?

linhthuy256 said:
yes i did every single posible way but it stills said "wrong" or the answer is not accepted.
What was the exact phrasing of the problem?

the exact phrasing was what i posted it on at first.

and the other problem is
compare the functions f(x)=x^5 and g(x)=5^x by graphing both f and g in several viewing rectangles.
a) find the x-coordinates of the point intersectionof the two curves accurate to two decimal places. and i did the graphing w/ a result of (1.70,1.70) is that rite?
and part b) find the value of x greater than 5 for which g(x)=400 f(x)

yeah i got the first problem rite. thanks

linhthuy256 said:
and the other problem is
compare the functions f(x)=x^5 and g(x)=5^x by graphing both f and g in several viewing rectangles.
a) find the x-coordinates of the point intersectionof the two curves accurate to two decimal places. and i did the graphing w/ a result of (1.70,1.70) is that rite?
and part b) find the value of x greater than 5 for which g(x)=400 f(x)
No, that's not right, in fact niether function passes through that point. You could graph the two functions in a different window to find the true intersection, but it is clear by inspection that x=5 will yield 5^5 in both cases. As for the second case, just graph 400x^5 instead of x^5 and see where this intersects g(x).

i can not find the intersection of 400x^5

Look between x=10 and x=12. y will be between 10^6 and 10^8.

LeonhardEuler said:
Look between x=10 and x=12. y will be between 10^6 and 10^8.

it's still have no intersection point between 10 or 12-13

The intersection point is between x=10 and x=12. Just make sure you're looking at y values around between 10^6 and 10^8.

huhmm i can find any answers for the intersection. i think i have to leave out this question. do u know any other ways to graph and view the intersection beside do the second trace then press intersection button?

Yes. Go to the "range" window. Put xmin as 10, xmax as 12, ymin as 10^6, and ymax as 10^8. Then just use the intersection feature. Alternitivley, just keep guessing values for x. g(x) starts out smaller than f(x) and then gets bigger. So, if you put in a certain x value and g(x) is smaller than 400x^5, try a bigger x. If g(x) is to big, try a smaller x.

LeonhardEuler said:
Yes. Go to the "range" window. Put xmin as 10, xmax as 12, ymin as 10^6, and ymax as 10^8. Then just use the intersection feature. Alternitivley, just keep guessing values for x. g(x) starts out smaller than f(x) and then gets bigger. So, if you put in a certain x value and g(x) is smaller than 400x^5, try a bigger x. If g(x) is to big, try a smaller x.

i give up i did as wat u say for both first and second curve but still it doesn't show any intersection point when i go between x=1 and up to x=25
:confused:

Did you graph f(x)=400x^5 and g(x)=5^x? I don't see what could possibly go wrong. I've found the intersection and checked that it was correct and it was between 10 and 12. Just try guess and test if nothing else is working. But make sure you put everyting in right first.

I have to go to sleep now, so I hope you manage to figure this out now. If not, hopefully someone else will come. Good luck!

ok i found 1 point that's 11.17 rite?

thanks a lot and nite nite

1. What is an exponential function?

An exponential function is a mathematical function in which the independent variable appears in the exponent. It is represented by the general form f(x) = ab^x, where a and b are constants and x is the independent variable.

2. How do I find the value of a in an exponential function?

To find the value of a in an exponential function f(x) = ab^x, you can use the given function to calculate the value of f(x) at two different values of x. Then, you can set up a system of equations to solve for a.

3. What is the significance of the constant b in an exponential function?

The constant b in an exponential function is known as the base. It determines the rate at which the function grows or decays. A base greater than 1 will result in a function that grows, while a base between 0 and 1 will result in a function that decays.

4. How can I graph an exponential function?

To graph an exponential function f(x) = ab^x, you can choose a set of x-values and calculate the corresponding y-values using the given function. Then, plot the points on a coordinate plane and connect them with a smooth curve.

5. What is the domain and range of an exponential function?

The domain of an exponential function is all real numbers, while the range depends on the base of the function. If the base is greater than 1, the range is y > 0, and if the base is between 0 and 1, the range is y > 0. Additionally, the function will have an asymptote at y = 0.