1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find external resistance

1. Oct 31, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two identical batteries of emf ε = 12 V and internal resistance r = 0.200 Ω are to be connected to an external resistance R, either in parallel or in series. If R = 2.00r Ω, what is the current i in the external resistance in the (a) parallel and (b) in the series arrangements?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

By symmetry, when the two batteries are connected in parallel the current i going
    through either one is the same. So from ε = ir + (2i)R with r = 0.200 Ω and R = 2.00r, we
    get ... etc.

I have no idea what the above means. What is going on?

While I appreciate the help, can you please give more than a sentence or two. I have found shortness = unhelpful response (not necessarily true, but there does seem to be a correlation).

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2011 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sorry, but this will be rather short.

Where did you get the following information, if you don't understand it? (I think that's what you indicated.)
    "By symmetry, when the two batteries are connected in parallel the current i going
    through either one is the same. So from ε = ir + (2i)R with r = 0.200 Ω and R = 2.00r, we
    get ... etc."​
    It looks like you could plug-in the values for r, R, and ε, to find the current, i .

4. Nov 1, 2011 #3

gneill

Staff: Mentor

The information would appear to be a quote from a solution, perhaps from a textbook example problem.

It might help if auk411 were to draw the circuit in question and label the currents.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook