Find external resistance

• Thread starter auk411
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Two identical batteries of emf ε = 12 V and internal resistance r = 0.200 Ω are to be connected to an external resistance R, either in parallel or in series. If R = 2.00r Ω, what is the current i in the external resistance in the (a) parallel and (b) in the series arrangements?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

By symmetry, when the two batteries are connected in parallel the current i going
through either one is the same. So from ε = ir + (2i)R with r = 0.200 Ω and R = 2.00r, we
get ... etc.

I have no idea what the above means. What is going on?

While I appreciate the help, can you please give more than a sentence or two. I have found shortness = unhelpful response (not necessarily true, but there does seem to be a correlation).

Answers and Replies

SammyS
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Two identical batteries of emf ε = 12 V and internal resistance r = 0.200 Ω are to be connected to an external resistance R, either in parallel or in series. If R = 2.00r Ω, what is the current i in the external resistance in the (a) parallel and (b) in the series arrangements?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

By symmetry, when the two batteries are connected in parallel the current i going
through either one is the same. So from ε = ir + (2i)R with r = 0.200 Ω and R = 2.00r, we
get ... etc.

I have no idea what the above means. What is going on?

While I appreciate the help, can you please give more than a sentence or two. I have found shortness = unhelpful response (not necessarily true, but there does seem to be a correlation).
Sorry, but this will be rather short.

Where did you get the following information, if you don't understand it? (I think that's what you indicated.)
"By symmetry, when the two batteries are connected in parallel the current i going
get ... etc."​
It looks like you could plug-in the values for r, R, and ε, to find the current, i .

gneill
Mentor
The information would appear to be a quote from a solution, perhaps from a textbook example problem.

It might help if auk411 were to draw the circuit in question and label the currents.