Finding Extremals of a Functional

• Thread starter LagrangeEuler
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functional
In summary, the extremals of the functional ##\Phi(y,z)=\int^{\frac{\pi}{2}}_0((y')^2+(z')^2+2yz)dx## for ##y(0)=0##, ##y(\frac{\pi}{2})=1##, ##z(0)=0##, ##z(\frac{\pi}{2})=-1## can be obtained by using the Euler-Lagrange equation. The derived system of equations is ##y''-z=0## and ##z''-y=0##, which can be solved to obtain the extremals ##y=\sin x## and ##z=-\sin x##.
LagrangeEuler

Homework Statement

Find extremals of the functional
##\Phi(y,z)=\int^{\frac{\pi}{2}}_0((y')^2+(z')^2+2yz)dx##
for
##y(0)=0##, ##y(\frac{\pi}{2})=1##, ##z(0)=0##, ##z(\frac{\pi}{2})=-1##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I have a solution but I have problem how to start with it
Solution
System of equation
##y''-z=0##
##z''-y=0##
Differentiating first equation two times and add second equation two given result we obtain
##y^{(4)}-y=0##
##y=C_1e^x+C_2e^{-x}-C_3\cos x+C_4\sin x##
And from boundary condition
##C_1=C_2=C_3=0##
##C_4=1##
We obtain extremals
##y=\sin x## and ##z=-\sin x##
My problem is how to get this system of equations. Tnx for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
LagrangeEuler said:

Homework Statement

Find extremals of the functional
##\Phi(y,z)=\int^{\frac{\pi}{2}}_0((y')^2+(z')^2+2yz)dx##
for
##y(0)=0##, ##y(\frac{\pi}{2})=1##, ##z(0)=0##, ##z(\frac{\pi}{2})=-1##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I have a solution but I have problem how to start with it
Solution
System of equation
##y''-z=0##
##z''-y=0##
Differentiating first equation two times and add second equation two given result we obtain
##y^{(4)}-y=0##
##y=C_1e^x+C_2e^{-x}-C_3\cos x+C_4\sin x##
And from boundary condition
##C_1=C_2=C_3=0##
##C_4=1##
We obtain extremals
##y=\sin x## and ##z=-\sin x##
My problem is how to get this system of equations. Tnx for your help.

You just use the Euler-Lagrange equation to derive that system, LagrangeEuler. Can you state what that is to get started anyway?

Tnx. I solved the problem.

What is the purpose of finding extremals of a functional?

Finding extremals of a functional is a mathematical process used to determine the maximum or minimum values of a given function. This is important in many fields of science, including physics, engineering, and economics, as it helps us understand and optimize real-world situations.

How is finding extremals of a functional different from finding derivatives?

While finding extremals of a functional involves taking derivatives, it is a more complex process that involves finding the critical points of a function and determining whether they are maximum or minimum values. This is a more general and rigorous approach compared to simply finding the slope of a function at a given point.

What are some common techniques for finding extremals of a functional?

Some common techniques for finding extremals of a functional include the Euler-Lagrange equation, the method of undetermined multipliers, and the calculus of variations. These methods involve different mathematical approaches but all ultimately aim to find the extremal values of a given function.

What are some real-world applications of finding extremals of a functional?

Finding extremals of a functional has many practical applications, such as optimizing the shape of an airplane wing for maximum lift, minimizing energy consumption in electrical circuits, and determining the optimal path for a satellite to orbit around a planet. It also has applications in fields like economics, where finding the extremal values of a utility function can help with decision-making and optimization.

What are some challenges or limitations of finding extremals of a functional?

One challenge of finding extremals of a functional is that it can be a time-consuming and complex process, especially for functions with multiple variables. Additionally, some functions may not have well-defined extremal values, making it difficult to apply these techniques. Furthermore, finding extremals of a functional often requires advanced mathematical knowledge, which can be a barrier for those without a strong background in mathematics.