Find f(x,y) s.t. z=f(x,y) defines a plane in R^3

• Thread starter gex
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plane
In summary, the individual is struggling to solve a problem and is seeking help in understanding how to approach it. They are advised to set a function with unknown constants and use given conditions to determine the values. After receiving this advice, they successfully solved the problem.
gex
The Question:
Question.JPG

Attempt at a solution:
Sol attempt.jpg

I know for a fact that my attempt is fully wrong, but I am just grasping at straws here and have no clue how to approach this problem. Any help getting me to wrap my head around how to approach this is much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
gex said:
The Question:
View attachment 240732
Attempt at a solution:
View attachment 240733

I know for a fact that my attempt is fully wrong, but I am just grasping at straws here and have no clue how to approach this problem. Any help getting me to wrap my head around how to approach this is much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Try setting ##f(x,y) = ax + by + c## for some unknown constants ##a,b,c.## Using your given contitions you can eventually determine ##a,b## and ##c##.

Last edited:
Likes gex
Ray Vickson said:
Try setting f(x,y)=ax+by+cf(x,y)=ax+by+cf(x,y) = ax + by + c for some unknown constants a,b,c.a,b,c.a,b,c. Using your given contitions you can eventually determine a,ca,ca,c and ccc.
Thank you so much Ray! I don't know how that didn't cross my mind. I successfully solved the problem now.

1. What is a plane in R^3?

A plane in R^3 is a two-dimensional flat surface that extends infinitely in all directions. It is defined by three non-collinear points or by a linear equation in three variables.

2. How do you find f(x,y) to define a plane in R^3?

To find f(x,y) to define a plane in R^3, you need to have three points that lie on the plane. Then, you can use the formula z = ax + by + c to find the equation of the plane, where a, b, and c are constants determined by the three points.

3. Can a plane in R^3 be defined by a non-linear equation?

No, a plane in R^3 can only be defined by a linear equation in three variables. This means that the highest power of x, y, and z in the equation must be one.

4. How do you graph a plane in R^3?

To graph a plane in R^3, you can plot the three points that define the plane and then connect them to form a triangle. You can also use the equation of the plane to find additional points and plot them to get a better understanding of the plane's shape and orientation.

5. Can a plane in R^3 pass through the origin?

Yes, a plane in R^3 can pass through the origin. This means that the constant term in the equation of the plane is equal to zero, and the plane contains the point (0,0,0).