Solving f(x) Without Derivatives, Limits, or Integrals

In summary: Plugging in values of x should get you closer to finding f(x). Keep trying different x values and see if you get a closer answer.
Omid
If :
f( [x-1]/[x+1]) + f(-1/x) + f( [x+1]/[1-x]) = x
Find f(x) without using derivatives nor limits nor Integrals.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried plugging in values for x?

Let's do it now.
x = 2 :
f(1/3) + f( -1/2) + f (-1/3) = 2.
Now what does it mean? I see a pattern but... I can't find f(x) anyway.
Can you give me some hints?

Last edited:
f(x) = log(1/x)

I mean lots of values... try to pick values of x so that you get f(y) terms where the y's are the same between different equations.

For instance, since that equation has a f(1/3) in it, you might like to plug in x=-3 next.

I plugged in so many xs but I just don't get it.
Consider that this problem must be solved in 2 or 3 minutes in the exam.
Anyway thanks for your help Hurkyl.

Last edited:
James R said:
f(x) = log(1/x)

I don't know wether it's right or wrong. Anyway, can you tell me how did you get it?

Omid,

There's no easy way to do this, because f could be anything. You really just have to guess.

My previous answer doesn't work, now that I've checked it. It's close, but if you apply it to the left hand side above, you get log(x) instead of x, so it's not quite there.

We can convert your expression to another form, which may be easier to work with.

Suppose we put

[tex]y=\frac{x-1}{x+1}[/tex]

Then we have

[tex]\frac{x+1}{1-x} = -1/y[/tex]

and

[tex]\frac{-1}{x} = -\frac{(y+1)}{y-1}}[/tex]

Putting this back into your original expression, and changing the name of the variable y back to x, we get an alternative form of your original expression:

[tex]f(x) + f\left(-\frac{1}{x}\right) + f\left(\frac{x-1}{x+1}\right) = -\frac{x+1}{x-1}[/tex]

It still remains to find f(x), though.

Last edited:
Tell me how was I soppused to carry out?

Check it out:
>If :
>f( (x-1)/(x+1)) + f(-1/x) + f( (x+1)/(1-x)) = x >Find f(x) without using derivatives nor limits nor Integrals.
Cute.
Left side is not defined for x = -1, 0 or 1, but I guess we should
ignore that.
Let h(x) = (x-1)/(x+1), and let h[n] be h iterated n times.
Notice that h[2](x) = -1/x, h[3](x) = (x+1)/(1-x) and h[4](x) = x.
So the equation says f(h(x)) + f(h[2](x)) + f(h[3](x)) = x.
Replacing x by h(x), we have f(h[2](x)) + f(h[3](x)) + f(x) = h(x).
Similarly, f(h[3](x)) + f(x) + f(h(x)) = h[2](x), and
f(x) + f(h(x)) + f(h[2](x)) = h[3](x).
Solve this system of four equations for f(x), f(h(x)), f(h[2](x))
and f(h[3](x)) and you get your answer, which is a rational function
with numerator of degree 4 and denominator of degree 3.
Robert Israel israel@math.ubc.ca
Department of Mathematics http://www.math.ubc.ca/~israel University of British Columbia Vancouver, BC, Canada
============================

I think what Robert said is somehow like what James_R has written.
But I don't understand how was I soppused to find or guess this ugly fraction by plugging in diffrent x values? .

Last edited:

What is the concept of solving f(x) without derivatives, limits, or integrals?

Solving f(x) without derivatives, limits, or integrals involves finding the value of a function without using these traditional mathematical methods. It requires a different approach and may involve using alternative techniques such as algebraic manipulation, graphing, or numerical methods.

Why would someone want to solve f(x) without derivatives, limits, or integrals?

There are a few reasons why someone may want to solve f(x) without derivatives, limits, or integrals. One reason could be that they do not have access to these mathematical tools, such as if they are working on a computer or calculator. Another reason could be that the function is too complex to be solved using traditional methods, and alternative techniques may be more efficient.

What are some common techniques used for solving f(x) without derivatives, limits, or integrals?

Some common techniques for solving f(x) without derivatives, limits, or integrals include algebraic manipulation, graphing, and numerical methods such as the bisection method or Newton's method. These techniques may require more time and effort than using derivatives, limits, or integrals, but they can provide a solution for functions that cannot be solved using traditional methods.

Are there any limitations to solving f(x) without derivatives, limits, or integrals?

Yes, there are limitations to solving f(x) without derivatives, limits, or integrals. These methods may not work for all types of functions, especially those that are highly complex or have discontinuities. It also requires a good understanding of mathematical concepts and may not be suitable for beginners.

How can I improve my skills in solving f(x) without derivatives, limits, or integrals?

To improve your skills in solving f(x) without derivatives, limits, or integrals, you can practice using different techniques and methods on various types of functions. You can also seek help from experts or online resources to learn new strategies and approaches. Additionally, having a strong foundation in algebra and calculus can also aid in solving f(x) without derivatives, limits, or integrals.