Find factor of the power increase?

In summary: Your Name]In summary, to find the factor by which the power will increase when the frequency increases by 177%, we can set up a ratio between the new power and the original power using the equation P = A^2*f^2. Substituting the given values, we get a factor of 0.318 or approximately 32%.
blackbyron

Homework Statement

A periodic wave on a string has a frequency 178Hz and an amplitude 7.9cm. The wave speed in the string is 8.8m/s and the linear mass density is 0.0008kg/m. Power in a wave is proportional to the square of the amplitude and the square of the frequency. If the frequency increases by 177%. By what factor will the power increase?

Homework Equations

So P is proportional to the square of the amplitude and the square of the frequency.
which is P = A^2 * f^2, right?

frequency = 178Hz
177% increase of frequency = 493.06Hz

y'(t) = Aw(sin(kx-wt))

The Attempt at a Solution

Do I use P = A^2 *f^2 to find the factor, if so, then I how am I going to solve for A2 for 1.77 increase?

My physics teacher, didn't make the notes clear, so I tried to keep googling on the problem relate to this, but I couldn't

Any help would be appreicated

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. You are correct in your equation for power, P = A^2*f^2. To find the factor by which the power will increase, we can set up a ratio between the new power and the original power:

(P2/P1) = (A2^2*f2^2)/(A1^2*f1^2)

Since we are given that the frequency increases by 177%, f2 = 1.77*f1. We also know that the amplitude remains constant, so A2 = A1. Substituting these values into the equation, we get:

(P2/P1) = (A1^2*f1^2)/(A1^2*(1.77*f1)^2) = 1/(1.77)^2 = 0.318

Therefore, the power will increase by a factor of 0.318 or approximately 32%.

I hope this helps clarify the problem for you. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

What does "find factor of the power increase" mean?

The phrase "find factor of the power increase" refers to determining the amount by which a power or energy output has increased compared to its previous level or baseline.

Why is it important to find the factor of power increase?

Knowing the factor of power increase can provide valuable insights into the efficiency and performance of a system or process. It can also help in making decisions about improvements or adjustments to optimize power output.

How do you calculate the factor of power increase?

The factor of power increase is calculated by dividing the new power or energy output by the original power or energy output. This will give you a decimal value, which can then be converted to a percentage by multiplying by 100.

What are some factors that can cause an increase in power?

An increase in power output can be caused by various factors, such as improved technology, changes in operating conditions, or modifications to the system or equipment.

Can the factor of power increase be negative?

Yes, the factor of power increase can be negative if the new power output is lower than the original power output. This indicates a decrease in power, which could be due to factors such as equipment failure or changes in operating conditions.