1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find flow rate

1. Apr 27, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    calculate the flow rate at which oil (kinematic viscocity = (10^-6) (m^2) /s )
    flow thru a cast iron pipe 100mm diameter and 115 m long under head difference of 5m

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    hf = 32μLV / ρg(D^2) how to get the value of μ( dynamic viscosity) ? we need density of oil to get the μ , am i right ? but , density of oil is not given , how to do this ? i plan to get the value of v ( velocity ) and then multiply v with area to get the flow rate

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2016 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

You're only given a few values in the problem statement. Only one is related to the properties of the fluid involved. Did you investigate its definition and perhaps its relationship to the parameters you seek?

4. Apr 27, 2016 #3
    yes , but i still gt stucked , can somehow guide me how to proceed with this question ?

5. Apr 27, 2016 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

I'm not an expert in this area. But let's see what we can do.

You presented a single equation in your problem statement: hf = 32μLV / ρg(D^2)

Can you define for me each of the variables in that equation?
    What did you discover about the definition of kinematic viscosity?

6. Apr 27, 2016 #5

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What's the relationship between kinematic viscosity (##\nu##) and dynamic viscosity (##\mu##)?

It should be spelled out in your text. If it isn't, you can look it up:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viscosity

7. Apr 27, 2016 #6
    I noted my mistake, thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted