Find Flux Density in Iron Ring: 1A Current, 5cm Length, 200 Turns, 1mm Gap

In summary: I can find out the area. In summary, an iron ring of mean length 5 cm has an air gap of 1 mm and a winding of 200 turns. If the permeability of iron is 300 when 1 A current flows through the coil, find the flux density.
circuitaki
an iron ring of mean length 5 cma has an air gap of 1mm and a winding of 200 turns. If the permeability of iron is 300 when 1A current flows through the coil find the flux density.

its answer is 94.2 mWb/m^3

kindly help how I would drive it

Physics news on Phys.org
circuitaki said:
an iron ring of mean length 5 cma has an air gap of 1mm and a winding of 200 turns. If the permeability of iron is 300 when 1A current flows through the coil find the flux density.

its answer is 94.2 mWb/m^3

Welcome to the PF. Try listing the Relevant Equations for this type of problem. There is an analogy with resistive circuits, where the current is determined by the driving voltage and the sum of the resistances in the circuit. Can you state whqt the analogous equations are for a magnetic circuit like this one?

hi dear,

there is no person to help me in this

circuitaki said:
hi dear,

there is no person to help me in this

Then use wikipedia and other learning resources to help you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_circuit

We can offer tutorial hints here (as I have done above), but we do not do the work for you.

What class is this for? What learning resources do you have from the class?

hi dear,

MMF = Ni

B= [tex]\mu[/tex]H

[tex]\mu[/tex] = [tex]\mu[/tex]r[tex]\mu[/tex]o

[tex]\mu[/tex]NA

H = Ni/Length

I am not to sure what is meant by the air gap of 1mm. Also the mean length of the iron ring? It that the diameter. Man this is poorly worded.

First all what does flux density mean? How do you think you are going to calculate using the information you are given?

bm0p700f said:
I am not to sure what is meant by the air gap of 1mm. Also the mean length of the iron ring? It that the diameter. Man this is poorly worded.

That's how this type of air-gap transformer/inductor problem is usually worded. The mean diameter is basically down the middle of the ring, so it's a 5cm ring with an air gap of 1mm (missing magnetic material).

hi dear,

this is as as same worded as I have

That makes sense now.

circuitaki said:
hi dear,

this is as as same worded as I have

So now you can solve your problem. Use the link I provided, and write out the equations for the reluctances and the other parts of the problem. Please show us your work as you solve for the flux...

circuitaki said:
an iron ring of mean length 5 cma has an air gap of 1mm and a winding of 200 turns. If the permeability of iron is 300 when 1A current flows through the coil find the flux density. its answer is 94.2 mWb/m^3

1) Find reluctances in the air gap and in the core
2) Find emf (or F)
3) Find flux
4) Find the flux denisty

I would leave it to you for finding all those formulas and relationships between reluctance, F, flux, and flux density.

Hint: You should already know this that you can build a electric circuit from above and treat F as V, flux as I and reluctance as R

thank you root x I am at work at this moment as soon as Igo back I would perform it and then tell you thank you

hi dear,

kindly guide me that here we found mmf or emf

circuitaki said:
hi dear,

kindly guide me that here we found mmf or emf

Use the link in post #4, and rootX's hints in post #11, and show us your work in detail.

We will not do this problem for you. You have all that you need to work out the problem. Now show us your full work.

Hi dear,,

how are you kindly help me the equation you tell me to drive for reluctance in this the area is not given and I have not know equation to drive it kidly help

circuitaki said:
Hi dear,,

how are you kindly help me the equation you tell me to drive for reluctance in this the area is not given and I have not know equation to drive it kidly help

Call the area "A" and proceed with the calculation.

hi dears but how can we put 2 unknown in a same equation for example for reluctance we need area S= l/ mu * A.

and same for flux weber= NI / l/munot *mur*A

hi dear,

sory for late reply I was out of city as per your quidence I had put the area as A

now I have

total reluctance 24.3 A(area) AT/wb

H = 40.81 * 1o^2 AT/m

F = .5020 A(area) AT/m

now if I go to fine the E.M.F as per your guidence

i have this formula current*resistance=e.m.f

to find resistance I have R=conductance l/A

but still I have the problem of Area kindly help\me now with the equation from which I can find out the area

Kindly help me quickly I needed it urgent

hi dears,

sorry for late reply acctualy I was out of city

as per your instructions I had put the area as a A

and I find out these total reluctance 24.3 A(area)AT/wb

magnetising force H = 40.81*10^2 AT/m

F = .5020 A(area) AT/wb

now to find out the flux or resistance agian I need the value of area which I have a problem

kndly help me with the equation with which I can find the area

GIVEN:
L of Core=.5 m
Air Gap=10^3 m
N=200 turns
Permeability of iron(uFe)=300
I=1A
Uo=4pix10^-7
find B?

from uNI/L=B ;since B=Hu
therefore we have,NI=BL/u
NI(total)=NI(AIR)+NI(IRON)
(200)(1)=B(.5)/uFexU0 + B(10^3)/u(air)xUo
solve for B;
B=.094247779 Wb/m^2

hope you learn it (from heart)
from Philippines

weird7 said:
GIVEN:
L of Core=.5 m
Air Gap=10^3 m
N=200 turns
Permeability of iron(uFe)=300
I=1A
Uo=4pix10^-7
find B?

from uNI/L=B ;since B=Hu
therefore we have,NI=BL/u
NI(total)=NI(AIR)+NI(IRON)
(200)(1)=B(.5)/uFexU0 + B(10^3)/u(air)xUo
solve for B;
B=.094247779 Wb/m^2

hope you learn it (from heart)
from Philippines

what is the value of u(air)...?

1. What is flux density?

Flux density, also known as magnetic flux density or magnetic induction, is a measurement of the strength of a magnetic field. It is represented by the symbol B and is measured in units of teslas (T).

2. How do you find flux density in an iron ring?

To find flux density in an iron ring, you can use the formula B = μ₀IN/2πr, where μ₀ is the permeability of free space (4π x 10^-7 H/m), I is the current in amperes, N is the number of turns, and r is the radius of the ring. In this case, you would plug in the values of 1A for current, 200 for number of turns, and 0.05m (5cm) for radius to calculate the flux density.

3. How does the length of the iron ring affect the flux density?

The length of the iron ring does not directly affect the flux density. However, it can indirectly impact the flux density by affecting the number of turns and the radius of the ring, which are both used in the calculation of flux density.

4. What is the significance of the 1mm gap in the iron ring?

The 1mm gap in the iron ring is important because it creates a path for the magnetic field to pass through. Without this gap, the magnetic field would not be concentrated and the flux density would be significantly lower.

5. How can the flux density in an iron ring be increased?

The flux density in an iron ring can be increased by increasing the current, increasing the number of turns, decreasing the gap between the ring, or using a material with a higher permeability than free space (such as iron). However, there are limits to how much the flux density can be increased before the material reaches its saturation point.