Solving a 10kg Sled Friction Problem on Ice

In summary, a child is pulling a 10kg sled with a force of 50N at an angle of 60 degrees north of east on a horizontal plane of ice. The sled is moving at a constant velocity, so the net force is 0 according to Newton's Second Law. Using the equation muK = Fk/Fn, the force of friction between the ice and the sled can be found by first finding the normal force, which is equal to the combination of the upward normal force and upward pull of the string. The normal force can be found by subtracting 43N (the force of gravity on the sled) from 98N (Mg). Therefore, the equation for finding the force of friction is mu
gabemarkus

Homework Statement

A child is pulling a 10kg sled along a horizontal plane of ice with a force of 50N directed 60 degrees north of east. Find the force of friction between the ice and the sled, given that the sled is moving at a constant velocity.

Homework Equations

Fnet = ma
Fnet = Fx - Fk
muK = Fk/Fn

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's kind of a crappy drawing of what I was able to get out of this...
Untitled.png
I just don't know where to go from here. I have Fx, 25N, and I believe Fn is 55N, but to find Fk i need to find Fnet, which is where I get stuck. And I don't know how knowing that the object is moving at a constant velocity can help me when I don't actually know it's magnitude. Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
What does Newton's laws say about an object which is moving at a constant velocity?

It will stay at that velocity unless something acts upon it with net force?

Orodruin said:
What does Newton's laws say about an object which is moving at a constant velocity?
It will stay at that velocity unless something acts upon it with net force?

I think I found it: since the object is at constant velocity, the acceleration is 0, so Fnet= 10 (0) = 0
So Fk = 25 (Fnet=Fx-Fk) and then muK = 25/Fn. I realize that, in my drawing, I accidentally subtracted from Fn instead of adding to it, so Fn is 141.
muK = 25/141 = .18

gabemarkus said:
I think I found it: since the object is at constant velocity, the acceleration is 0, so Fnet= 10 (0) = 0
So Fk = 25 (Fnet=Fx-Fk) and then muK = 25/Fn. I realize that, in my drawing, I accidentally subtracted from Fn instead of adding to it, so Fn is 141.
muK = 25/141 = .18
If your drawing is correct then you were right to subtract the 43N from mg to obtain the normal force. The force of gravity on the sled is balanced by the combination of the upward normal force and the upward pull of the string.
However, the problem statement says the string is oriented 60 degrees north of east, not 60 degrees above the horizontal.

Exactly. No acceleration (constant velocity) means no net force. However, note that (if you wrote down the problem exactly as stated) you could have stopped when you had found the force of friction. Although there is nothing wrong in doing more, be mindful of what you put in the answer. Otherwise, see haruspex' reply.

haruspex said:
If your drawing is correct then you were right to subtract the 43N from mg to obtain the normal force. The force of gravity on the sled is balanced by the combination of the upward normal force and the upward pull of the string.
However, the problem statement says the string is oriented 60 degrees north of east, not 60 degrees above the horizontal.
Why do you subtract 43 from Fn instead of adding? Arent both forces moving in the same direction?

gabemarkus said:
Why do you subtract 43 from Fn instead of adding? Arent both forces moving in the same direction?
He has asked you to subtract 43N from mg(98N).Are they in same direction?

Satvik Pandey said:
He has asked you to subtract 43N from mg(98N).Are they in same direction?
Isn't Fn the equal but opposite force opposing the force of gravity, meaning it is directed upwards along with the upward force created by the rope?

gabemarkus said:
Isn't Fn the equal but opposite force opposing the force of gravity, meaning it is directed upwards along with the upward force created by the rope?
ppp8.png
Fn is not equal to Mg.
The block's acceleration in vertical direction is 0.So net force in vertical direction should be 0.
Can you write an equation for this?

1. How do you calculate the coefficient of friction for a 10kg sled on ice?

To calculate the coefficient of friction, you will need to measure the force required to move the sled and the weight of the sled. Then, divide the force by the weight to get the coefficient of friction. This can be done using the equation μ = F/W, where μ is the coefficient of friction, F is the force, and W is the weight.

2. What factors can affect the coefficient of friction for a sled on ice?

The primary factor that affects the coefficient of friction for a sled on ice is the temperature. As the temperature increases, the ice will melt and create a thin layer of water on the surface, reducing the coefficient of friction. Additionally, the roughness of the ice and the weight of the sled can also impact the coefficient of friction.

3. How does the angle of the slope affect the friction of a 10kg sled on ice?

The angle of the slope can significantly impact the friction of a sled on ice. The steeper the slope, the greater the force required to move the sled. This increased force can lead to a higher coefficient of friction. However, if the slope is too steep, the sled may not be able to move at all due to the force of gravity.

4. What are some strategies for reducing friction when sledding on ice?

One strategy for reducing friction when sledding on ice is to wax the bottom of the sled. This can create a smoother surface and reduce the coefficient of friction. Additionally, choosing a sled with a more aerodynamic shape can also help reduce friction. Finally, finding a smoother surface of ice, such as a frozen lake, can also decrease the coefficient of friction.

5. How can understanding the friction of a sled on ice be useful in other scientific fields?

Understanding the friction of a sled on ice can be useful in fields such as engineering and physics. It can help engineers design more efficient sleds or other vehicles that need to travel on icy surfaces. It can also be used in physics experiments to study the effects of friction on different surfaces and objects. Additionally, the principles of friction can be applied to various other scenarios, such as the movement of glaciers or the behavior of ice skaters on a rink.