Find how far a particle travels in 9 seconds

In summary, the person is trying to find how far a particle travels in 9 seconds. They are given the acceleration and are able to find the antiderivative for velocity and position. However, they are having trouble with the distance traveled. They try the upper limit and it returns 240 feet. They then try integrating in terms of seconds and divide by 3600 to get the same answer.
jesuslovesu
(from rest)

I need to find how far a particle travels in 9 seconds
The only given is acceleration but I can find the antiderivative for velocity and position.a = 1 + 3 sqrt(t) mph/sec
v = t + 2t^(3/2) + vo mph
s = 1/2t^2 + 4/5*t^(5/2) + vo*t + so miles

9sec == .0025 hour

[tex]
\int_0 ^{0.0025} |v(t)|dt
[/tex]
When I take the integral of velocity to find distance traveled, I don't get the correct answer. (should be 344 feet) I would assume that I'm doing something wrong with the units but I can't figure it out.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What are you plugging in for V not and the starting position X not. Otherwise your integration seems correct.

I'm just putting in 0 for both vo and so
because from the info that I'm given it says it's from rest

Well... if you solve it that way your getting miles. I suggest converting it to feet.

It turns out to be .0178 ft with the above integral

I also tried the upper limit as 9, which returns 240 ft

Plug in .0025 hours for your equation: .5T^2 + (4/5)T^(5/2)

You will then get miles since you integrated miles/hour.

Since you want your answer in feet you need to convert your answer by multiplying how many feet are in a mile.

Yep, 3.375x10^-6 miles x 5280 ft/mi = .0178 ft

I'm getting .06525 miles when I plug in numbers.

Although I'm plugging in seconds and then dividng by 3600 (Making mph into mps).

I'm getting .06525 miles when I plug in numbers.

Although I'm plugging in seconds and then dividng by 3600 (Making mph into mps).

I tried your way and it does seem to be giving the wrong answer. I believe this is because you integrate acceleration in terms of seconds and then velocity in terms of hours. I believe you have to integrate in terms of one unit and thus divide the velocity equation by 3600. Giving you the same equation over 3600 and you plug in seconds.

got it thanks

1. How do you calculate the distance traveled by a particle in 9 seconds?

To calculate the distance traveled by a particle in 9 seconds, you need to know the initial velocity (v0) and the acceleration (a) of the particle. Then, you can use the formula d = v0 * t + 1/2 * a * t^2, where d is the distance traveled, t is the time (in this case, 9 seconds), and ^2 represents squared.

2. What is the unit of measurement for the distance traveled by a particle in 9 seconds?

The unit of measurement for the distance traveled by a particle in 9 seconds will depend on the units used for initial velocity and acceleration. However, the most common unit for distance is meters (m).

3. Can you determine the distance traveled by a particle in 9 seconds without knowing its initial velocity?

Yes, it is possible to determine the distance traveled by a particle in 9 seconds without knowing its initial velocity. However, you will need to know the acceleration and any other relevant information (such as the particle's final velocity) to calculate the distance using a different formula.

4. Is the distance traveled by a particle in 9 seconds affected by gravity?

Yes, the distance traveled by a particle in 9 seconds can be affected by gravity. If the particle is moving in a vertical direction, gravity will accelerate it downwards, resulting in a greater distance traveled in 9 seconds compared to a particle moving in a horizontal direction.

5. How can you use the distance traveled by a particle in 9 seconds to determine its speed?

The distance traveled by a particle in 9 seconds can be used to calculate its average speed. Average speed is equal to the total distance traveled divided by the total time taken. So, if you know the distance traveled in 9 seconds, you can divide it by 9 seconds to determine the average speed of the particle.