Sum of Series using Cosine Function | Homework Equations and Solution Attempt

In summary, The given equation is represented as an infinite series and the homework equation involves the use of the cosine function. The solution involves showing that the infinite series representation of cosine of pi is equivalent to the given series. Ultimately, the sum is simplified to -1 and this is what needs to be shown.
rcmango

Homework Statement

heres the equation: http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/1669/untitledfa5.jpg

Homework Equations

i think we use cos(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

i know that cos(x) = cos(pi)

so the limit is -1?

whats the sum, I'm a bit confused.
must be in simplest form
what must i show. help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you can express the sum much more simply than -1. The 'limit' you are talking about is the 'sum', right?

What you must show is that the infinite series representation of [itex]\cos(\pi)[/itex] is identical to the infinite series given in the exercise.

excellent, okay you its simple it is only -1. I just wasn't sure what they wanted to see. thanks

1. What is the formula for finding the sum of a series using a cosine function?

The formula for finding the sum of a series using a cosine function is Sn = a + a*cos(d) + a*cos(2d) + ... + a*cos(nd), where a is the first term, d is the common difference, and n is the number of terms in the series.

2. How do I know if I should use a cosine function to find the sum of a series?

You should use a cosine function to find the sum of a series if the terms in the series are in the form of a*cos(nd), where a is a constant and d is the variable. This can be determined by looking for a pattern in the series or by recognizing a cosine function in the terms.

3. Can the sum of a series using a cosine function be negative?

Yes, the sum of a series using a cosine function can be negative. This can occur if the terms in the series alternate between positive and negative values, resulting in a negative overall sum.

4. How do I find the sum of a series using a cosine function if the number of terms is infinite?

If the number of terms in the series is infinite, the sum can be approximated by using a partial sum. The partial sum is the sum of a certain number of terms in the series, and as the number of terms increases, the partial sum will approach the actual sum.

5. Can the sum of a series using a cosine function be a fraction or decimal?

Yes, the sum of a series using a cosine function can be a fraction or decimal. This can occur if the terms in the series do not have a common factor or if the common difference is a fraction or decimal.