1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find i j k force on charge

1. Oct 1, 2009 #1
    1. Find in the i, j, k format, the force on the +8 micro-Coulomb charge (pic att'd)

F = 1.6 x 10^-4 N

no clue where to start

soa9tf.jpg

thx

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2009 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Use the formula for electric field causing a force on a charge: Fe = q*E

4. Oct 1, 2009 #3
    got that. that's where the 1.6 x 10^-4 came from.

5. Oct 1, 2009 #4

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Are you finished then, or do you need to add the electric field due to the other charge? A good idea to show formula and numbers - the answer is not much of a clue as to what you have done.

6. Oct 2, 2009 #5
    electric field strength is on the image - 20 N/C

the issue here is, they want it in i, j k format

7. Oct 2, 2009 #6

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Okay.
    1.6 x 10^-4 * cos(60) i + 1.6 x 10^-4 * sin(60) j + 0k

8. Oct 2, 2009 #7
    thanks delphi. can you explain the cos and sin portion a bit? i never really could understand why those are used to express a single side of a triangle

9. Oct 2, 2009 #8

Delphi51

Homework Helper

triangle.jpg
    Expressing a vector as a horizontal part plus a vertical part makes it very convenient to add vectors (just add the h and v parts separately without worrying about angles). Also, in something like a trajectory problem the motion in two perpendicular directions is independent, so you can do the horizontal part of the problem without worrying about the vertical part.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook