Calculating Forces on Charged Particles Using Vector Components

In summary, to find the force on the +8 micro-Coulomb charge, use the formula Fe = q*E, where q is the charge and E is the electric field strength. In this case, the force is 1.6 x 10^-4 N and the electric field strength is 20 N/C. To express the vector in the desired i, j, k format, use the formula F = Fx i + Fy j + Fz k, where Fx and Fy are the horizontal and vertical components of the force. To find these components, use the cosine and sine functions to determine the horizontal and vertical parts of the vector. This allows for easier vector addition and independent calculations for motion in different
inconceivable
1. Find in the i, j, k format, the force on the +8 micro-Coulomb charge (pic att'd)

F = 1.6 x 10^-4 N
no clue where to start

soa9tf.jpg

thx

Attachments

• dipole.jpg
    dipole.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 402
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Use the formula for electric field causing a force on a charge: Fe = q*E

got that. that's where the 1.6 x 10^-4 came from.

Are you finished then, or do you need to add the electric field due to the other charge? A good idea to show formula and numbers - the answer is not much of a clue as to what you have done.

electric field strength is on the image - 20 N/C

the issue here is, they want it in i, j k format

Okay.
1.6 x 10^-4 * cos(60) i + 1.6 x 10^-4 * sin(60) j + 0k

thanks delphi. can you explain the cos and sin portion a bit? i never really could understand why those are used to express a single side of a triangle

triangle.jpg

Expressing a vector as a horizontal part plus a vertical part makes it very convenient to add vectors (just add the h and v parts separately without worrying about angles). Also, in something like a trajectory problem the motion in two perpendicular directions is independent, so you can do the horizontal part of the problem without worrying about the vertical part.

What is "Find i j k force on charge"?

"Find i j k force on charge" is a scientific concept that refers to the process of determining the amount and direction of force acting on a point charge in three-dimensional space. This is typically represented using the i, j, and k unit vectors, which represent the x, y, and z axes respectively.

What is the formula for finding i j k force on charge?

The formula for finding i j k force on charge is F = qE, where F represents the force, q is the charge of the particle, and E is the electric field. This formula is based on Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

How is "Find i j k force on charge" used in scientific research?

"Find i j k force on charge" is a crucial concept in many scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and chemistry. It is used to understand and predict the behavior of charged particles in various systems, such as electric circuits, chemical reactions, and electromagnetic fields. This knowledge is essential for developing technology and conducting experiments in these fields.

What factors affect the i j k force on charge?

The i j k force on charge is affected by several factors, including the magnitude of the charge, the distance between the charged particles, and the dielectric constant of the medium. Additionally, the direction of the force is determined by the direction of the electric field, which can be influenced by external factors such as the presence of other charges or conducting materials.

How can "Find i j k force on charge" be applied in real-world situations?

"Find i j k force on charge" has many practical applications, such as designing and analyzing electronic devices, calculating the forces in chemical reactions, and understanding the behavior of particles in space. It is also used in everyday objects, such as batteries and electrical appliances, where the movement of charged particles is crucial for their functioning.