How Do You Calculate iC(t) in an RLC Circuit and Plot Its Waveform?

In summary, the problem involves finding iC(t) in a circuit and plotting its waveform for t>=0. The circuit contains a parallel current source and a 0.1 ohm resistor, which can be transformed into its Thevenin equivalent. After the switch is moved, the circuit becomes a series circuit. The calculation of R(eq) by adding the two resistances results in a value of 0.62 ohm. Using this value, the current and voltage at t=0 can be determined. The circuit is overdamped, with s1=-4.64 and s2=-7.76. Using the given equations, the values of A1 and A2 can be found, and then used to calculate the voltage
asdf12312

Homework Statement

jkva0z.png

find iC(t) in the circuit and plot its waveform for t>=0.

Homework Equations

i(t)=i(infinity)+e^(-at)[D1cos(wdt)+D2sin(wdt)
D1= i(0)-i(infinity)
D2=i'(0)+a[i(0)-i(infinity)]

aux.:
w0=(LC)^(-1/2)
wd=sqrt(W0^2 - a^2)
s1= -a+sqrt(a^2 - w0^2)
s2= -a-sqrt(a^2 - w0^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

just a bit confused would this be a parallel RLC after all? doesn't seem like it, cause after switch moves it seems to be in series, except for current srouce. then I would calculate R(eq) by adding those two resistance? 0.1+0.52=0.62ohm?? i also get iL(0-)=iL(0)=4mA and iC(0)=0 because no current through open circuit?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You could change the 4mA current source and its parallel 0.1 Ω resistor into its Thevenin equivalent. Then you'd definitely have a series circuit for t > 0.

i used source transformation and brought the 0.1ohm on top, and got an 0.4mV source. then i divided by the R(eq) of the two 0.1ohm resistors in series to get iL(0)=iL(0-)=2mA. then Vc(0) would be the voltage across the 0.1ohm resistors, 0.2mV. since iC(0)=iL(0) then using equaiton I=C(dv/dt) i get v'C(0)= iL(0)/C= 2mA*1.8=3.6mV. also, vC(infinity)=V(s)=0.4mV.

a (for series)= R/2L= 0.62ohm/(2*0.05)=6.2 np/s
w0 = LC^(-1/2)= 6 rad/s

since a>w0 it would be overdamped. so using the formula i listed i get s1=−4.64 and s2=−7.76
A1= (v'(0)-s2[v(0)-v(infnity)])/ s1-s2 = (3.6mV-(-7.76)(0.2mV-0.4mV))/3.12= 0.66mV
A2= -[(v'(0)-s1[v(0)-v(infnity)])/ s1-s2] = (3.6mV-(-4.64)(0.2mV-0.4mV))/3.12= -0.86mVvC(t) =vC(infnity) +A1*e^(s1t)+A2*e^(s2t)
vC(t) = 0.4mV+0.66mV*e^(-4.64t) - 0.86mV*e^(-7.76t)

so far i did this right?

Last edited:
Yup. Looks good so far.

I would first clarify the circuit setup with the person asking the question. It seems that there may be some confusion about the circuit's configuration. Once the circuit is clearly defined, I would use Kirchhoff's laws and the appropriate equations for the given RLC configuration (whether it is parallel or series) to calculate the values of the components and their effects on the current. I would also double check the given equations and make sure they are correct and applicable to the given circuit. Once I have all the necessary information, I would plot the waveform of iC(t) for t>=0, using a program or software such as MATLAB or LTspice. This will give a visual representation of the current through the capacitor over time. I would also make sure to label the axes and include any relevant units.

1. What is iC(t) in an RLC circuit?

iC(t) is the current that flows through the capacitor in an RLC circuit. It represents the charging and discharging of the capacitor as the voltage changes.

2. How do you find iC(t) in an RLC circuit?

To find iC(t), you can use the equation iC(t) = C * dVc(t)/dt, where C is the capacitance of the capacitor and dVc(t)/dt is the derivative of the voltage across the capacitor with respect to time. This equation can be derived from Kirchhoff's laws.

3. What factors affect the value of iC(t) in an RLC circuit?

The value of iC(t) is affected by the capacitance of the capacitor, the voltage across the capacitor, the inductance of the inductor, and the resistance in the circuit. It also depends on the frequency of the alternating current and the initial conditions of the circuit.

4. Can you find iC(t) in an RLC circuit without knowing the initial conditions?

Yes, you can find iC(t) without knowing the initial conditions by using the general solution for iC(t) = A * cos(ωt + φ), where A is the amplitude of the current and φ is the phase angle. These values can be determined by solving for the values of A and φ using the known values of the circuit components and the frequency of the alternating current.

5. How does the value of iC(t) change in an RLC circuit as the frequency of the alternating current changes?

The value of iC(t) in an RLC circuit is directly proportional to the frequency of the alternating current. As the frequency increases, the value of iC(t) also increases. This is because a higher frequency results in a faster changing voltage across the capacitor, leading to a higher rate of change in the current through the capacitor.