1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find Indefinite Integral

1. Nov 27, 2009 #1
    Using U-substitution find the indefinite integral of:

[sin(2x)/cos^4(2x)] dx

So I do know that it will have to come out to it being ln... heres what i did so far
    ok so i made u= cos^4(2x)
    du= -8cos^3(2x)*sin(2x)dx....(just took the derivative of u and simplified it)

so made sin(2x)dx= du/(-8cos^3(2x))...so i can substitute it into my equation.

so it came out to be:
    du/(u*-8cos^3(2x))...but in using u-substitution, i should not have an x variable...

So do i have to minipulate u=cos^4(2x) to get x by its self?
    I get x= .5cos^-1(4sqrt(x))

It just seems like its sooooo complicated.. dont know.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

No, it definitely won't come out being ln(something).
    That's because you're making it too complicated by using the wrong substitution. Instead, use u = cos(2x).

4. Nov 27, 2009 #3
    ok thanks...
    So u=cos(2x)
    -du/2= sin(2x) dx...then i substitute:

=-1/2[integral]du/u^4
    where i get =-1/2[integral] u^-4du
    =-1/2*-1/3u^-3+C
    =1/6u^-3+C

Is that correct?...then i can just substitute what u equals into the equation (since they started in terms of x, ill leave it in terms of x)

5. Nov 27, 2009 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Right. And after you undo your substitution you can check your answer. Its derivative should be [sin(2x)/cos^4(2x)].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook