Find Induced Emf in this Coil

In summary, when a flat, rectangular coil with dimensions L and w is pulled with uniform speed v through a uniform magnetic field B with the plane of its area perpendicular to the field, the EMF induced is zero. This is due to the cancellation of the integrals of the Lorentz force on the charge carriers in opposite sides of the loop. Additionally, according to Faraday's Law, the change in magnetic flux through the coil is also zero, resulting in no induced EMF. This can be seen from the local form of the Lorentz invariant Maxwell equations, which shows that the EMF is zero when the magnetic field is constant and the boundary of the moving surface is stationary.
ltkach
A flat, rectangular coil of dimensions L and w is pulled with uniform speed v through a uniform magnetic field B with the plane of its area perpendicular to the field (the figure (Figure 1) ).How is the emf zero?

My reasons as to why it's zero:

the trig part forces the problem to be zero?

Emf Induced ===== (Enclosed Integral) (vBsin(90))*dl*cos(90) = 0

Thanks!

Attachments

• #29.14.jpg
    #29.14.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 1,903
  • physics #29.14.jpg
    physics #29.14.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 1,901
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think I figured it out.

I have attached a photo of what I did.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 2,841
Think about the Lorentz force on the charge carriers. The direction of v x B in the opposite sides of the loop will oppose each other so there is no current induced.

Hope I understood the question correctly; I'm using the iPhone app, and I'm unable to view your pictures on my phone. :)

can you check out the third picture i posted. I four different integrals. they all canceled out to be zero.

A non zero EMF can only occur if there is a change in flux. Since the magnetic field here is constant, the area of the coil doesn't change and the orientation of the coil with respect to the magnetic field doesn't change, there is no change in flux and hence no induced EMF produced.

Mr.Atomizer,

What about the equation for non stationary magnetism.
Emf= integral of vXB(dot)dL

Non stationary Induced Emf sorry.

The electromotive force is 0 here. So your calculation is correct. This can also be immediately seen from Faraday's Law in integral form. To derive it one must be a bit carefull. It's wrong in many textbooks.

One always should start from the local (differential) form of the Lorentz invariant Maxwell equations. The Faraday Law in any inertial frame of reference reads
[tex]\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{E}=-\partial_t \vec{B}.[/tex]
Now let [itex]A[/itex] be any area (time dependent or not) and [itex]\partial A[/itex] its boundary. Further let the relative orientation of the surface elements and the boundary curve be defined in the standard way by the right-hand rule. Then, according to Stokes's theorem you have
[tex]\int_{\partial A} \mathrm{d} \vec{x} \cdot \vec{E}=-\int_A \mathrm{d} \vec{A} \partial_t \vec{B}. \qquad (*)[/tex]
Now the point is to bring the partial time derivative out of the integral. This, however gives two contributions: Besides the partial time derivative of the time-dependent magnetic field, it also contains a piece from the change of the moving surface. The result of the analysis is
[tex]\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t} \int_A \mathrm{d} \vec{A} \cdot \vec{B}=\int_A \mathrm{d} \vec{A} \cdot \partial_t \vec{B}-\int_{\partial A} \mathrm{d} \vec{r} \cdot (\vec{v} \times \vec{B}).[/tex]
Here [itex]\vec{v}=\vec{v}(t,\vec{r})[/itex] is the velocity of the boundary-line element at the time and position [itex](t,\vec{r})[/itex]. The proof is given in the Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday's_law_of_induction#Proof_of_Faraday.27s_law

You have to open the box to see the proof.

Now we have the magnetic flux defined by the integral on the left-hand side,
[tex]\Phi(t)=\int_{A} \mathrm{d} \vec{A} \cdot \vec{B},[/tex]
and then Faraday's Law (*) tells us
[tex]\int_{\partial A} \mathrm{d} \vec{r} \cdot (\vec{E}+\vec{v} \times \vec{B})=-\frac{\mathrm{d} \Phi}{\mathrm{d} t}.[/tex]

In your case, because the magnetic field is homogeneous, the magnetic flux through the coil doesn't change with time and thus the EMF, i.e., the line integral on the left-hand side of the above equation, vanishes.

1. How is induced EMF calculated in a coil?

Induced EMF in a coil can be calculated using the formula: E = -N(dΦ/dt), where E is the induced EMF, N is the number of turns in the coil, and dΦ/dt is the rate of change of magnetic flux through the coil.

2. What factors affect the induced EMF in a coil?

The induced EMF in a coil is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the number of turns in the coil, the speed at which the magnetic field changes, and the orientation of the coil with respect to the magnetic field.

3. How does the direction of the induced EMF relate to the direction of the magnetic field?

The direction of the induced EMF is always perpendicular to the direction of the magnetic field. This is known as Lenz's Law, which states that the induced current will flow in a direction that opposes the change in magnetic flux.

4. Can the induced EMF in a coil be used to generate electricity?

Yes, the induced EMF in a coil is the principle behind electric generators. When a coil is rotated in a magnetic field, the changing magnetic flux induces an EMF in the coil, which can be used to generate electricity.

5. How can the induced EMF be increased in a coil?

The induced EMF in a coil can be increased by increasing the strength of the magnetic field, increasing the number of turns in the coil, or increasing the speed at which the magnetic field changes. Additionally, using a ferromagnetic core inside the coil can also increase the induced EMF.